1. Forum moved (you can use login and pass from old forum)
  2. Many discussions moved to the bugtracker

Will this remake fix aliens not attacking civilians?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Snowybird, Aug 21, 2014.

1. pmprog

pmprog Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator

Best Answers:
    Is there a reason you registered a second account?

2. The Reaver of Darkness

The Reaver of Darkness Registered

Best Answers:
    I was on my brother's computer when I posted that. I decided I want to stick around, so I made an account.

3. pmprog

pmprog Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator

Best Answers:
    Okay, no problems, just thought you were the same person using two names :)
    Welcome to OpenApoc

4. mrblackdx

mrblackdx Registered

Best Answers:
    It would be cool if dependent on the alien type, their reaction to civilians is indicative of how you think they would act.

Low intelligence aliens like Spitters, Hyperworms, Poppers, Megaspawn and Multiworm eggs have no cognitive ability to discern friend or foe, so they just attack regardless.

Multiworms never attack civilians, unless a civilian stumbles across Multiworm eggs or Chrysalis's, where they attack that civilian while the civilian remains in that area.

Anthropods and skelatoids have greater intellect, so don't shoot civilians on sight. The exception is that anthropods may shoot brainsucker pods at civilians, where the brainsucker might take over the civilian.

And the psionic aliens don't target civilians, unless the civilians can provide a tactical advantage, like giving the aliens an idea of your location.

Again, this is more of a Mod thing which detracts from the original game and requires significant work. But it would be much more realistic.

5. Solarius Scorch

Solarius Scorch Call to Power modder Global Moderator

Best Answers:
    That would require modification of alien crews for most missions, since aliens wouldn't send mindless beasts into buildings belonging to organizations whom they want to befriend...

6. bobucles

bobucles Registered

Best Answers:
    This is really getting more into the idea of alien "mission types". Apoc doesn't have mission types for the aliens, per se. Troop ships drop the same load of guys every time, and they infiltrate just the same, and act the same in combat regardless of your mission. Aside from the random element of aliens wandering the city and evolving from their life cycle, you can kind of expect the same mission every single time.

Don't get me wrong. Facing a terror mission of nothing but heavy weapons, poppers and megaspawn would be really fucking damn cool. A mission of mass hyperworms would be begging XCOM to blow everything apart. Crushing the aliens down to nothing but brainsuckers/micronoids after killing the queen would also create an endgame that targets down your best troops. Apoc has a diverse range of aliens as is, and taking advantage of that would definitely add to the game.