1. Forum moved (you can use login and pass from old forum)
  2. Many discussions moved to the bugtracker

Welcome to OpenApoc (this old topic) - for your introduce create new topic

Discussion in 'Welcome! Introduce Yourself' started by pmprog, Jul 8, 2014.

1. sirdrannik

sirdrannik Registered
    3/28

Best Answers:
    YOU! I don't know you, and I love you already. XCom Apocalypse is the best Game I ever played. I know nothing about programming, or anything, BUT, I can try to help the best I can. It's a great time to be alive! :D

2. Huaptlo

Huaptlo Registered
    26/28

Best Answers:
    Hello, just found this site and I'm so happy to see one of my beloved games being worked on. I have been planning to play it again and have been looking at possible mods and whatnot, but with you guys treating it like openXcom it's going to be so much better and easier.

I would love to help in any way possible, but alas I have no skills in anything other than playing games.

I suppose you goal is to re-create the game as it was launched, just more polished? It would be the work for mods to fill the void that was planned for it, like several Mega Primus cities, several alien dimensions, corporate espionage etc.

3. Solarius Scorch

Solarius Scorch Call to Power modder Global Moderator
    41/56

Best Answers:
    Hello and welcome!

Don't worry, you'll fit right in - for example, I can't do anything either, so I became a moderator. B)

[​IMG]

4. Miguelitus

Miguelitus Registered
    24/28

Best Answers:
    Hello

I play XCOM since I was a child, I am 27 years old, I talk spanish-la
    would like to help with anything, ideas, translator, programming but i am oracle database adminsitrator, i know pl/sql and some linux scripting and I think I can learn some other language to help

gretting!

5. pmprog

pmprog Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator
    54/56

Best Answers:
    Welcome.
    We don't really need ideas at the minute (as we're trying to replicate something that exists); but if you fancy getting down and dirty, you can fork the repo and either try and build some screens, or we need help reversing the game file formats.

6. Vilos Cohaagen

Vilos Cohaagen Registered
    0/28

Best Answers:
    I just registered to login and post to say I'm so excited about OpenApoc. Apocalypse was in many ways my favourite Xcom game - the living city and corporate infighting really brought the game to life, so if you can do what you did for OpenXcom I'll be super pleased. There's not a lot I can do to help other than offer my encouragement at the moment, but I'll certainly spread the word. Good luck with it all, I'll be keeping a close eye on developments.

7. Darquan

Darquan New Member Tester
    12/28

Best Answers:
    Here to say HI! So impressed yall taking up apocalypse. I've played so many games and none were as much fun as apoc!

It was hard to get into but once I was in, I couldn't get out.. The depth and possibilities of different tactics that you had to constantly improve to keep up with the aliens and developing soldiers whilst managing bases.

A lot of things were badly unbalanced like teleporters and invincible armour but easily modable, the stat and morale system could've been a lot better but it was the only game of its type and tragically cut short before being finished and more players never gave it a chance. If only they'd dropped turn based and made it real time which was ten times better they could've finished it!

I'm not good at programming but have plenty of time and happy to learn and help if I can :)

8. Istrebitel

Istrebitel Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator
    39/56

Best Answers:
    X-Com is one of my favorite game series and Apoc is one of my favorite games of all times. Countless hours were spent playing it since childhood. Now that I have some free time, I'd really like to help bringing an open source implementation to life. I have experience with C++ and I've done some little fixes for the OpenXCom project. What could I do to help with Apoc? Is there a design document or project planner available somewhere?

9. Keise

Keise Registered
    0/28

Best Answers:
    You're more than welcome to come in and code something. There's no design document required since the project is faithful to the original game (except for obvious bugs or errors). Game is reversed in cases where underlying mechanics are not clear, but we figured out most of the game at this point.

Most dev discussions happen on IRC (http://openapoc.pmprog.co.uk/index.php?topic=25.0). There's also a Slack channel (much nicer tool IMO) but used mostly by russian team.

To get into coding I would suggest to fork the project on github (https://github.com/pmprog/OpenApoc), hack some features in, make a pull request. The engine is in fine state to come in and do the actual gameplay features. Regarding the planner: there was an attempt at issue tracking but it's not up to date since JonnyH worked alone for a while. Check TODO list https://github.com/pmprog/OpenApoc/blob/master/TODO.md.

I hope I covered most of it :)

10. Meridian

Meridian Die hard XCOM fan
    0/28

Best Answers:
    Hello everyone,

so I finally managed to create a permanent account on this forum and will start lurking more frequently :)

I'd offer help with coding, but I know I wouldn't have enough time... so instead let me thank you for what's done already and wish you good luck with the rest. Can't wait...

Regards,
    Meridian

PS: I didn't find an "Introduce yourself" thread, so I'm just posting here.

11. Daylot_Usta

Daylot_Usta Registered
    3/28

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Well We can -still- play X-Com:Apocalyple with DosBox, so please add something new to the base game. I, personally, really wish to see new weapons(troop and vehicle), vehicles, maps, armors, researches, factions, recruitable races, aliens, diplomacy, trade, etc. I know it is hard to do then write but re-creating exactly the same game -even with resolution support- is (I can't find correct word) to my point of view.

And please don't remove crawl action from the game, I don't know why but we can't crawl anymore these days. A soldier who can't crawl is like a race car without an engine imho. :)

Most sincere thanks for your effort to bring Apocalypse to life.

12. pmprog

pmprog Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator
    54/56

Best Answers:
    Welcome to the forum

I'm afraid not. OpenApoc will attempt to just reimplement the game.

However, that said, it will (hopefully) make adding things such as weapons and aliens easier, so that community mods can add the bits that were missed from the original release.

13. MangoTangerine

MangoTangerine Registered
    3/28

Best Answers:
    Mango here.

This is looking to be an amazing project, and although I've only started in my basic programming class--I am an Information Systems student--I hope to help where I can as I develop my knowledge. On the side, I have some understanding of German from a class I attended last year. I look forward to pitching in.

makus likes this.
  14. Borden S

Borden S Translator/Writer Translator/Writer
    1/28

Best Answers:
    I just stumbled onto this after thinking about my favourite games of all time and thinking "I wonder if anyone has every modded XCOM Apocalypse into something a little more workable for 2017. Nobody has ever come close to what that game did." And here you guys are! I have no idea if I can contribute anything (maybe some testing, writing, proofreading?) but I'm pumped that this is coming along!

makus likes this.
  15. makus

makus Designer, forum admin Administrator Designer/Artist
    64/112

Best Answers:
    Hey Borden S great words =]
    here check pls http://openapoc.org/threads/development-of-the-contribute-page.178/

16. Pss

Pss New Member Programmer
    3/28

Best Answers:
    Hello everyone! =]

P.S. gmail marked varification e-mail as 'spam'.

makus likes this.
  17. makus

makus Designer, forum admin Administrator Designer/Artist
    64/112

Best Answers:
    Welcome Pss =]
    yes need check it

18. Patrick Sweetman

Patrick Sweetman Member Tester
    3/28

Best Answers:
    Looking forward to testing some of the more obscure moves from the original.