1. Forum moved (you can use login and pass from old forum)
  2. Many discussions moved to the bugtracker

Welcome to OpenApoc (this old topic) - for your introduce create new topic

Discussion in 'Welcome! Introduce Yourself' started by pmprog, Jul 8, 2014.

1. pmprog

pmprog Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator
    24/28

Best Answers:
    Thanks, and welcome. Italian translation will be good :) Cheers

2. Mysyk

Mysyk Registered
    37/56

Best Answers:
    Oh Gods. I never expected to happen this. Hello and thank you for such great efforts. Unfortunately I am an amateur programmer but I dream to reverse-engineer one of old game. Please make any reference on TV Tropes.

3. Ashtaron

Ashtaron Registered
    0/28

Best Answers:
    A remake of my favorite and unjustly underrated X-COM game? I must be dreaming!

But if I'm (hopefully) not - as a professional English/Russian translator, I'd gladly lend a hand if/when a need for a Russian translation appears.

4. kkmic

kkmic Undefined
    44/56

Best Answers:
    pmprog has already imported some (all?) of the original strings into the project.

As the project will mature, some other string will be added, but if you have the time, you already have something to work with :)

5. pmprog

54/56

Best Answers:
    Keep dreaming... it's not even close to being a demo, never mind playable or the game ;)

As kkmic said, if you want to start making tracks into the LANGUAGES/STRINGS.XML file, under each string element add a language node (ru?) and translate away :)

Thanks, and welcome to OpenApoc

6. HamsterStyle

HamsterStyle Registered
    24/28

Best Answers:
    Hi Everybody,

This seems to be the thread where people are introducing themselves and expressing interest to help. I'd like to help out - I've been looking for a fun project to do in my spare time!

My main experience is in scientific programming, and know C, C++, Java, Python, and have dabbled in some other stuff as I've needed it (Perl, SQL, scripting languages, etc). I also have done a fair amount of parallellized computing - if that will be any help (I doubt it for this). Unfortunately, I haven't done any game programming. If there's somewhere you think I should work/look first as a programmer in this situation, do let me know.

I'm running Arch, so I can also get together a repo package for that distro when the time comes.

At any rate, I'll clone the git tonight and I'll see you guys in IRC hopefully sometime this week!

7. pmprog

54/56

Best Answers:
    Welcome.

It's hard to say what to look at at the moment, because we're still really just sorting out the framework, and still trying to understand all the files for the game. So really, we're after an understanding on the original game, it's files and processes.

But yeah, come join us on IRC, we're not always there, but you'll probably run into us at some point :)

8. HamsterStyle

HamsterStyle Registered
    24/28

Best Answers:
    Alright sounds good. I'll get acquainted with the code and read the rest of the forums in the meanwhile.

9. DoctorMuerte

DoctorMuerte Registered
    0/28

Best Answers:
    Hi guys, i guess this is the place for introductions.

I live in Spain but I was born in Uruguay, my native language is Spanish so please pardon any typos I can make. I've been a fan of X-COM games since I had my first pc (around 1996) and found out this proyect this morning reading the OpenXcom forums.

I'm afraid I can't contribute with code, as I'm not a programmer (just slowly learning c as a hobby) but if nessesary I can help you guys translating the game, (saw a couple of posts on last page reffering to translations, but didn't read the whole thread yet).

So nice to see this project, and looking forward to any news on its development.

Best regards.

10. pmprog

54/56

Best Answers:
    Welcome to openapoc.

If you dig into the Translations board, I think the Spanish has already been started, but I'm sure there's plenty to do

Cheers

11. 2-ton

2-ton Registered
    0/28

Best Answers:
    Hey man good work and thank you for taking this on, X-com apoc was my fav x-com game. I loved its realtime combat and cityscape the way you could fight and ambush and how the enemy would adapt to your strategies. Dual wielding weapons and massive air battles. It would be cool if we could add in extra dimensions or something, or figure out a easier way to port weapons into the engine as all those 2d models would be way to hard for us to make ourselves.

12. Pray_for_Snow

Pray_for_Snow Registered
    0/28

Best Answers:
    Hello, I'm a newbie coder, but I'd like to assist/learn how to help. I've done a fair amount of C/C++ coding in my studies at college, as well as some work into Arduino and Motorolla processors. I plan on dropping by the IRC channel, but until then I really don't know where to start.

13. pmprog

54/56

Best Answers:
    Welcome to OpenApoc.

Well, start here, by grabbing the code (dependancies are build with the project now, so you don't have to grab them seperately, I should update the page) and just seeing if you can compile the program.

Once you've got it built, then I guess look for some part of the game that isn't in there yet (hint: pretty much everything), so you could start on the ufopaedia, basescape, battlescape, or even just something a bit more abstract like a class for loading and saving game data.

14. Solarius Scorch

Solarius Scorch Call to Power modder Global Moderator
    41/56

Best Answers:
    Pmprog, Johnny, have you tried asking for coders here?

http://www.moddb.com/jobs

I could post an add myself, but I wouldn't want to make duplicates. (Besides, I believe I'm not qualified enough to outline this project in technical terms.)

15. JonnyH

JonnyH Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator
    64/112

Best Answers:
    I haven't seen that before - but a quick glance sees lots of work ('Hire' 'Recruit') that implies to me money would be changing hands... If asking for help with a volunteer project is OK there, go ahead.

As an aside, I haven't been able to work on much recently (Christmas out of the country, and the airline lost my bags (including laptop) on the way back...), so there hasn't been much coding progress.

I have had a look at creating some 'tools' in the mean time, stuff like editing tile images and editing city maps, hopefully I'll have something somewhat useful to me (For debugging/reverse engineering) soonish - such things may even be useful to modders going forward.

16. Solarius Scorch

Solarius Scorch Call to Power modder Global Moderator
    41/56

Best Answers:
    I don't know really, but as it's mainly a modding site, I'd say I wouldn't expect to find many people who'd want to be paid with real money. But it doesn't matter, we can still ask.

Sucks to hear about the laptop, I hope you've gotten it back already... I always take mine with me on board. :)

Anyway, I'll post the ad some time today.

EDIT:
    It's posted, but now it'll take a couple days to accept the ad. And maybe some corrections if needed. But hopefully it helps later.

EDIT 2:
    Lookie, it's here already.

17. Grandi

Grandi Registered
    0/28

Best Answers:
    Hello everyone! I just wanted to thank you for remaking one of the best games out there!
    I wish i could somehow help you, but sadly i know nothing about coding.

18. JonnyH

JonnyH Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator
    64/112

Best Answers:
    Welcome! Although most of the bottleneck is coding at the moment, there has been some interesting discussion on what people want to mod/change (which may help decide how such things may be exposed from the code) and similar.

I'm also looking for volunteers to help figure out various file formats (Mainly by making a change to a file, running 'vanilla' Apocalypse, and try to find out what changed), or people to fill in various data files (e.g. linking up all the vehicle sprites - we only have one complete at the minute!)

I'm actually working on a citymap editor at the minute too, so maybe soon (tm) people will be able to start generating their own cities - it might even work in vanilla apoc too (if we can figure out all the file format stuff that's needed, there's still some about the definition of buildings that's unknown, and lots of unknown tile properties probably make creating new tiles near impossible....)

19. Sonicelo

Sonicelo New Member Tester Researcher
    24/28

Best Answers:
    Hi there,
    I am 25 year old guy from Slovenia, my expertise are PHP and Jquery programming and I work with it as a freelance web application and sites developer.

Most of my childhood I spend playing computer games, and one of them was X-Com: Apocalypse. Every now and then I still fire up the good ol' Dos Box to kick the alien buts. But after so many replays I figured the game could use some improvements and addons but there are almost no mods or TCs around.

After a long time I randomly googled x-com again and found this website, which made very happy :)
    I watched quite a few old remakes growing from ashes like TTD and Theme Hospital. Here I have a chance to add a new one to collection and I would like to do it.

As I can see it, the base is C++, which I practiced a lot in the past (mostly private projects and University) and should not take a long time to get back into it. I do not have experience with reverse engineering but we will see, I learn fast ;)

I already cloned the repo and tried it but figured my old laptop will not run it (which means no tweaking the code while working XD), but I have a backup PC at home which I will definitly try out in next few days and hope to give a hand.

Looking forward to help,
    Gregor aka Sonicelo.

20. pmprog

54/56

Best Answers:
    Welcome, I hope you managed to get it running etc. I think we definately could do with the hands - I've been preoccupied in real life for the last month and a half, which has really killed all my efforts. I've not even kept up with JonnyH to see how he's getting on :(