1. Forum moved (you can use login and pass from old forum)
  2. Many discussions moved to the bugtracker

VS2015

Discussion in 'Coding' started by adoconnection, Jan 18, 2016.

1. adoconnection

adoconnection Registered
    0/28

Best Answers:
    When will you switch to VS2015?

2. JonnyH

JonnyH Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator
    64/112

Best Answers:
    There's currently no real benefit to msvc2015 as far as I can see, the (vast) majority of c++11 we use appears to be implemented in msvc2013 - I am personally developing in linux using clang & gcc, and have not yet found anything I desperately want to use that isn't available in 2013.

If devs who know more about windows have a compelling reason to change there's nothing I can see stopping them. A quick test appears to show it builds correctly with no changes in the msvc2015 community edition (and our CI testing also appears to use 2015 as well, so we have a spread of versions tested).

3. pmprog

pmprog Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator
    54/56

Best Answers:
    If you want, you could always create a VS2015 subfolder and create 2015 project files; that way you leave 2013 intact, and have 2015 files.

4. JonnyH

JonnyH Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator
    64/112

Best Answers:
    Blerg, I keep forgetting to update the msvc files as it is, having 2 copies sounds like hell to me.
    Like I said, if there's a reason we can move, 2015 is free and I doubt it'll really block anyone, but as far as I can see the fact that 2015 is a bigger number than 2013 is not a reason in itself...

5. adoconnection

adoconnection Registered
    0/28

Best Answers:
    sounds line an option but JonnyH is right.

Well its only about using modern tools, nothing more :) As for me, I have to use VS2015 because of C# wich is my primary languange of work. I can install VS2013 if nesessary, but I would like not to install it.

6. SupSuper

SupSuper Registered
    0/28

Best Answers:
    There's nothing stopping you from using VS2015 with the project (I do too), it'll just ask you to change the compiler target when you first open it. Working with different project versions hasn't been an issue since VS2010. :p

7. gbjbaanb

gbjbaanb Registered
    0/28

Best Answers:
    There's two reasons to use 2015 - its Microsoft's last version of VS (as in they won't make a VS2017, they'll instead keep updating 2015 instead), and the free edition is fully features, no silly licence restrictions or plugin/addon restrictions.

Given that, it makes sense to upgrade to 2015. Incidentally, you can build it with 2015 without changing the target (you need 2013 installed to build 2013 projects properly rather than convert them to 2015 builds) but the compiler hasn't changed so much between versions anyway.

However... OpenAPoc doesn't build with 2015 native - they made a minor change to iob_func, easily remedied - use the latest SDL, or redefine them with the right format:

see http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30412951/unresolved-external-symbol-imp-fprintf-and-imp-iob-func-sdl2 for details.

8. spacejim

spacejim Registered
    0/28

Best Answers:
    One thing I can say is that 2015 is waaaayyy faster than the previous versions. Compiling uses all threads (not sure if 2013 does, but the previous ones didn't) and running through the debugger launches and runs as fast as just running the project exe naked. This was in my particular project anyway, the game would start up in 20 seconds instead of about 2 minutes which did wonders for my productivity.