1. Forum moved (you can use login and pass from old forum)
  2. Many discussions moved to the bugtracker

The Pyra - an 'open source' ARM handheld computer - now in pre-order

Discussion in 'Offtopic' started by JonnyH, May 3, 2016.

1. JonnyH

JonnyH Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator

Best Answers:
    I don't know if anyone here is interested, but I just pre-ordered the Pyra (see https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pyra/ ) - I have the predecessor, a fancy bit of kit called the pandora, and it seems great for emulators / a mini linux PC.

I do intend to eventually support openapoc on the pyra, hence my posting here, plus drumming up support for cool things is always fun.

Note: Compared to a 'modern' phone it's somewhat overpriced and underpowered, but for devs/hackers/similar it seems pretty cool! It has a full keyboard, and runs 'full fat' linux. I've found the pandora fun for playing games/the odd bit of browsing/coding on the train, and the pyra is a clear continuation of the same.

(Note, i said 'open' - that unfortunately doesn't include many of the sw blobs, including the GPU driver, which may make it a non-starter for some... Clearly PowerVR are full of terrible people who hate freedom!)

makus likes this.
  2. pmprog

pmprog Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator

Best Answers:
    Hehe, I thought about dropping a post here about it, but seems you're ahead of me in pretty much every game going... I'll grab my coat...

3. makus

makus Designer, forum admin Administrator Designer/Artist

Best Answers:
    Why ot usual noutbook?)

4. JonnyH

JonnyH Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator

Best Answers:
    Mostly the size difference - It's closer to a nintendo DS xl than a notebook. It (should) also have a significantly better battery life than pretty much anything else at that price/size, 5+ hours while actually being used to play games (I hope). It also has "proper" game controls - D pad, analog sticks and shoulder buttons.

At this point it's no longer really 'cutting edge' tech, it's a couple of generations behind mobile phone SoCs, but it should have more than enough power to deal with emulators and oldschool (or even a couple-of-generations-old games) on the run, as well as games aimed at mobiles.

Plus it's a 'full' linux system, so you can still run firefox, openoffice, develop in vim or and similar if you really want. Having a full keyboard means it's not insane, and the previous version (the pandora) actually wasn't awful to use, which is amazing considering the size. While I haven't actually held a pyra yet, I assume it'll at least be no worse.

But it's a small-run niche product. And that comes with a price premium.

makus likes this.