1. Forum moved (you can use login and pass from old forum)
  2. Many discussions moved to the bugtracker

Low Priority Task: Vehicle Behavior

Discussion in 'Data' started by Istrebitel, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Istrebitel

Istrebitel Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator
    39/56

Best Answers:
    In order to implement flying vehicles properly, we need to implement their combat maneuvers. Right now vehicles in OpenApoc can fly to destination, and fire their weapons, but vehicles in Vanilla also used to maneuver when in combat. They would move to the side, they would keep their distance, all depending on the aggressiveness setting.

We need to know how it works. Without original code, we need someone to observe and document how vehicles behave in combat. This would allow us to implement that as close to vanilla as possible, and thus release version 1.0 faster.

makus likes this.
  2. Lord Darius

Lord Darius Member Researcher
    39/56

Best Answers:
    Well, it seems i've totally fucked this up at my "Let's play" session. The vehicles act just like the agents in real time, with defensive mode. The vehicles will shoot, like a maniac, but the others will be shot on sight, by the projectile. Agents work like this as well. They will shoot each other, just to shoot the target, or atleast, try to hit it. NO matter, how you adjust the vehicles aspect, the UFO will fly like a loose balloon, everywhere, so this mistakes will happen, no matter what you do. Even with an Annihilator, with 6 advanced weapons control (yepp, over), will hit everything else but the UFO. They shoot linear, so, that bullet/distruptor/rocket will fly until it hits something.

makus likes this.
  3. makus

makus Designer, forum admin Administrator Designer/Artist
    64/112

Best Answers:
    so you put its on YT? pls link it here=]

4. darkestaxe

darkestaxe Registered
    39/56

Best Answers:
    Sometimes I wonder if X-COM is pissed at the rest of the world for not uniting behind us. That's why we help the UFOs break the city.

I recommend using hover-bikes and hover cars with short range weapons for testing to see what the craft are trying to do vs UFOs, since they can actually do it. Start with hover-bikes and auto-cannons. Then load longer range weapons and slower vehicles to see where it breaks down.

With the right craft and weapons they shoot between buildings, select angles with less buildings behind targets, draw enemy fire away from buildings, dodge, etc. Aggressive generally worked better in my experience because craft fly closer to UFOs.

I suspect what's happening is that the aiming calculations in game to adjust for multiple velocities are off. Pilots lead or follow targets too far ahead or behind and the extra targeting modules just zero in on these incorrect targeting adjustments.

In my experience more targeting stuff resulted in less accidental hits, so I stopped using them.

5. Istrebitel

Istrebitel Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator
    39/56

Best Answers:
    Okay so I figured out most of this. Remaining question is to study format of "vehicle engagement rules" and how that is used.

Aside from that, study shows:

1) Vehicles charge towards their targets when far, and move to random adjacent tile when close.
    I was not able to determine whether different vehicles have different preferences for distance, or whether weapons equipped or behavior setting affects it.

2) Vehicles dodge incoming projectiles by moving sideways when something is incoming
    I do not yet know the chance for this to happen and how behavior setting affects it.

3) Evasive setting makes them cease fire.

4) Basically that's the extent. That's all they do. Advance when far, move randomly in close, dodge shots. That and they retreat when low on health if not aggressive.

So, hopefully when skin36 figures out how vehicle engagement rules are used, we're done with this.