1. Forum moved (you can use login and pass from old forum)

High Priority Task: Unit Behavior

Discussion in 'Data' started by Istrebitel, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Istrebitel

Istrebitel Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator
    3/28

Best Answers:
    This is going to be most complicated task yet. So whoever does this will contribute a LOT towards making OpenApoc 1.0.

We need to implement unit behavior. And for that we need to know how it works. Behavior is what units do automatically, like taking cover, strafing etc, based on their behavior setting (nice/neutral/angry face icon).

Answering this would require study of how agents/aliens act based on their behavior settings, and writing a sort of small paper, describing what was observed: what kind of behavior is possible, and how frequently it happens / what triggers it. And probably then there would be more questions from me and requests to study it further to figure out the details.

makus likes this.
  2. Yataka Shimaoka

Yataka Shimaoka Active Member Tester
    3/28

Best Answers:
    Well based on my gaming experience, I noticed that when a unit is set on the safest mod, it will move to cover, and when exposed to an enemy, they won't fire back. The normal mode unit is somehow a bit of a safe mod, they still move to cover but will moves out of it to fire back. The baddass mode is pretty much obedient, they won't move to cover when being fired upon and will shoot at the enemy relentlessly

3. Istrebitel

Istrebitel Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator
    28/56

Best Answers:
    Well yes, aggressive is basically "no AI", normal is "partial AI" and cautious is "full AI".
    In aggressive the only AI unit does is leaving hazards (if standing in fire/gas or hit with enzyme will run away).

What we need to find is logic (either disassembled or figured out by studying the game) to implement for that AI. Like, how it chooses where to hide? How it chooses whether to hide or not? How often does it strafe out of cover to take potshots? Which position it chooses to strafe to? etc

4. Yataka Shimaoka

Yataka Shimaoka Active Member Tester
    3/28

Best Answers:
    Uh, I believed that they move to the best possible cover in the area that can withstand strong weapon blows rather hiding behind a cover that gets destroyed easily, I guess.

On a second test I made, it proved me wrong! So basically troops move to an area where their IS cover regardless of it's defence value

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017