1. Forum moved (you can use login and pass from old forum)
  2. Many discussions moved to the bugtracker

Suggestion Suggestions and Opinions to improve Xcom Apoc

Discussion in 'Game Mods' started by Grimagor, Dec 2, 2014.

1. bobucles

bobucles Registered

Best Answers:
    There's lots of media on the topic. Just pick and choose whatever argument suits you best. ;)

From the UFOpaedia information in Apocalypse, we can determine that the mind control process operates on two major factors. The first is the physical occupation of the parasite. All we know is the brainsucker is used to inject the parasite, so that it can directly attack the host from within and seize control. The parasite would have an advantage when it comes to flooding the victim with any sort of chemical to control and weaken his resolve. The second is the psionic aspect, which XCOM discovers very late in the war. This allows the parasite complete control over the host's consciousness, memories and actions.

Killing the parasite outright probably wouldn't cure the mind control, because the agent has already been brainwashed by psionics. Likewise curing the psionic brainwashing won't do anything if the parasite is there to reassert control or simply kill the host.

Curing the infection isn't part of XCOM's agenda. Their job is to stop the invasion entirely. That sort of cleanup would be left to the larger organizations like Nutrivend.

2. Solarius Scorch

Solarius Scorch Call to Power modder Global Moderator

Best Answers:
    This is highly debatable, though we can assume that such a person would have a number of neurological and psychological afflictions. Therefore curing them obviously wouldn't be simple nor quick.

And I agree! That's why I suggested for the game to actually indicate this, so that a brainsucked agent (or civilian, or whoever) wouldn't be treated like yet another alien, but as a special case - hopefully with a small reward for helping to bring them back (measured in points).

3. Grimagor

Grimagor Registered

Best Answers:
    I totally agree!
    By the way, what do you people think about figthing "brainsucked" humans in a "Alien investigation" mission? (not only aliens)

4. bobucles

bobucles Registered

Best Answers:
    To be honest I'm surprised they were never a thing. Rentacops all share the same allegiance and there is no hint of infiltration having any effect until the organization is all conquered.

To be fair you don't have to brainsuck every single person to seize control of an agency. Just grab the CEOs and middle management, and they'll bark XCOM kill orders all day.

5. Grimagor

Grimagor Registered

Best Answers:
    But this not explain Why you "clean" a building killing of the aliens. What happen to the brainsucked victims?!

I honestly not understand how Alien infection works: Okay, they have Brainsuckers who take control of Humans but... what's the point of send spitters? (at least Antropomorph and skeletoids can use Brainsucker launchers) I can understand some kind of "terraforming Alien" and it should be very nice if an Alien Infected Building starts to develop some organic furniture.
    Maybe we can interpretate the Searching an Alien infection like some investigation of brainsucked victims and when they found them, kill them and start to looking the aliens troops, right?

EDIT: Rethinking in this idea, should be nice to add this kind of "search of alien infection" as a research. At the begining of the game you can't "Clean" a building because X-com don't know anything about the Brainsucker but when you study them, you can create a method to know if a person was Brainsucked so, when you search Alien Activity in a Building you can detect Brainsucked (this is done before the mission starts) and totally clean a building.

6. Solarius Scorch

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I've had my own questions about this. Do they really brainsuck COEs? If no, why not? If yes, how could it be represented in the game? And why not brainsuck just every single person they can jump on?

[​IMG]

:)

But it's an interesting path to follow. Not sure how exactly, but it's fun to think about.

7. bobucles

bobucles Registered

Best Answers:
    Hahaha. I'm sure at least some of this stuff was scrapped in Apoc's development. You're talking about a completely new expansion to Apocalypse! There is an enormous amount of stuff to potentially add to the city of Megaprimus. But ultimately they add flavor to the cityscape, and don't dramatically change how battles work.

8. Grimagor

Grimagor Registered

Best Answers:
    That's the same I was thinking ;D

Maybe a way could be creating a new research topic (alien infection) and when you study the brainsucker unlock another topic (alien infection detection?).
    By the way, what do you people think about the bio-transport module topic? why is the purpose of investigate this? you have an alien containment room already!!!

9. Solarius Scorch

Best Answers:
    It's a sound idea. Can be something to work with.

A valid point. Or perhaps the containment room should be researchable too.

10. Grimagor

Grimagor Registered

Best Answers:
    Or perhaps ignore both research and focus directly in the alien invasion

11. Solarius Scorch

Best Answers:
    Either way. Though I personally prefer to have more research topics than less.

12. Grimagor

Grimagor Registered

Best Answers:
    The problem is Biotranspor module's research avoid any research before this one and their production. :-\

13. bobucles

bobucles Registered

Best Answers:
    I think the point of the mobile bio module is that XCOM has to retrofit a standard prisoner or hazardous materials containment module to accept exotic alien biology. This is much easier to accomplish on a facility where it can be built to spec the first time every time. At the very least it gives you a day 1 topic to play with, which I think Apoc should have.

Might be cool. It'd add a bit of a Pandemic angle to Apoc, where you not only have to defeat the aliens but race against the micronoid infection to save the city.

I had pondered this a few weeks ago on my own time and came to a conclusion. The big deal is you're trying to protect the various organizations of the city from the parasite. It wouldn't work well without a completely flushed out corporate game. So it's a pretty big project.

14. Grimagor

Grimagor Registered

Best Answers:
    Obviously, I was proposing this option if we add the "alien infection" topic.
    I see more "logical" studing first how the aliens "expand" their influence (Beyond Cult of Sirius)

15. borsek

borsek Registered

Best Answers:
    Since the brainsucking action only involves, as far as I remember, flooding the victim with micronoid aggregate, which 'replaces' the victim's blood (or is included in it), wouldn't the easiest way to cure them be just to shoot them up with toxin A/B/C? That would just kill the infection and leave the human host undamaged?

16. Solarius Scorch

Best Answers:
    Maybe, maybe not. it is conceivable that the micronoids modify human biochemistry to better suit their needs, perhaps making it susceptible to alien toxins. I'm not saying it's certain, but it's possible.

17. The Think Tank

The Think Tank Active Member Researcher

Best Answers:
    If you guys are at all interested in learning how to modify vanilla X-Com: Apocalypse I would highly suggest the Apoc'd addon, which basically enables you to modify everything from guns, vehicles and even buildings, it is pretty easy to learn as well, and I have been able to test a lot of changes I would like to put into OpenApoc. I have used it to test many things I think would benefit the game's balance, like making nukes more powerful, buffing land vehicles (specifically, road tile resistance) and making some weapons a little better and more usable (lasers more accurate, miniguns have a higher rate of fire etc.) I even salvaged the Megapol Law Pistol, stole a sprite from the game's code and made a Megapol Sub-Machine Gun. The possibilities with this editor is really quite exciting, and even if it couldn't be used in OpenApoc, this editor allows us to actually test these changes you have suggested in the game, instead of just speculating how they would impact the game (yes, I have made Explorers available earlier in the game this time, as well as lowering the requirements needed to research them)

You can find it here:

http://www.strategycore.co.uk/files/apocd/

Happy modding! Cannot wait for OpenApoc to enter its playable stage.

18. Treonin

Treonin Registered

Best Answers:
    I did use it a lot, but for some reason on even different machines/os, modding weapons in any way, even 1 bit of damage will make the battle randomly crash on the enemy turn/real time by getting divide by zero errors.

19. The Think Tank

The Think Tank Active Member Researcher

Best Answers:
    Hmmm...I have never had that problem, but I use a DOS emulated version of the game, not the Steam version, maybe that has something to do with it?

20. Treonin

Treonin Registered

Best Answers:
    Most versions, even the steam one is dosbox emulated, because if you do not have a windows 95/dos machine then you will not be able to run it.