1. Forum moved (you can use login and pass from old forum)
  2. Many discussions moved to the bugtracker

Task complete Steam version of Xcom Apocalypse problems

Discussion in 'General help - Troubleshooting - Feedback' started by Yataka Shimaoka, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Yataka Shimaoka

Yataka Shimaoka Well-Known Member Tester Translator/Writer
    3/28

Best Answers:
    Yesterday, I bought xcom3 from steam and followed proper installation procedures, and launched the game with dosbox. After a while, I noticed that the music isn't playing, so I waited for a while till I got annoyed when UFOs starts appearing and no battle music was played, so if anyone can help resolve some steam related issues of xcom3, feel free to post down some notes and instructions, thanks in advance!!

makus likes this.
  2. makus

makus Designer, forum admin Administrator Designer/Artist
    64/112

Best Answers:
    you launch setup tool ? mb there
    also many ppl buy this game mb in discussion tab of this game is related issues

3. Yataka Shimaoka

18/28

Best Answers:
    Yes, I used the setup tool, activated the sounds from there, but still nothing! I think that maybe I should reinstall the game because most app problems can be resolve by such way

4. Treonin

Treonin Registered
    31/56

Best Answers:
    I also have the xcom from steam, but It came preinstalled and preconfigured, the music needed the disc (iso) to be set in dosbox but that was also already set. I did not need to do any installation.

My dosbox.conf have this autoexec line at the end:

[autoexec]
    # Lines in this section will be run at startup.
    @echo off
    mount c . -freesize 1024
    imgmount d cd.iso -t iso
    c:
    cd xcoma
    xcomapoc.exe
    exit

The cd.iso is in the same folder as dosbox and the conf file.

5. Yataka Shimaoka

18/28

Best Answers:
    To be honest, I don't understand your point, and what do you mean about MOUNTING iso files via dosbox??

6. Treonin

Treonin Registered
    31/56

Best Answers:
    What I am trying to say, that after steam installed the game I had nothing to do with it, just normally press play in steam and everything went normal, including music.

7. Yataka Shimaoka

18/28

Best Answers:
    Huh?? I got it as a package, not installed by steam. I bought it with ufo defence and tftd thats why its on a package

8. The Think Tank

The Think Tank Active Member Researcher
    19/28

Best Answers:
    To be honest I was quite frustrated with this as well, eventually I switched over to the DOS version of the game (of which you can find plenty online) and nabbed the ISO and some miscellaneous files from the Steam version in order to reactivate music and other small missing features. It is a bit of a hassle to get it running every time, but I also know that there is a way to modify the DOS version to run automatically on Windows, although I am simply too lazy to do that.

At some point, I can try and look at my Apocalypse setup to see what I have done to offer your more precise, and hopefully, more helpful advice.

Yataka Shimaoka likes this.
  9. Yataka Shimaoka

18/28

Best Answers:
    Thanks!! I pretty much got stucked now, plus when I followed the procedure from the steam forums, my game won't lauch and ends dosbox not responding.
    Thanks again in advance!

10. oto lohnicky

oto lohnicky Registered
    3/28

Best Answers:
    Hi Yataka Shimaoka. The thing that "The Thin Tank" told you about run the completely DOS version of this game works only under Windows XP. Not higher Windows versions. The setup is really tricky and needs much to do (some DOS sound drivers emulators, some DOS mouse driver emulator and so on. But this works only under Windows XP as I wrote above.
    Now to your problem with the music: I have had the same problem with this version (Steam or whatever you have). In game you can go to settings screen and by default the music is switched off. When you try to switch it on, then the game completely freezes. I think this is your problem, too.
    How to enable the music:

Step 1: Uninstall , delete the complete X-COM Apocalypse folder where you have installed the game (because I think you have done some workaround already and maybe you have destroyed some configs that needs to be as it came from the installation as original.)

Step 2: Instal the game again (Just download, or unzip, I don't know what version you have, but when you have it the same as me, then it is just zip that needs to be unzipped somewhere - no need to run the DOS setup.exe from xcom apocalypse.iso image file. Or if you need to, then simply install it and run the sound setup, too. Unzip or install the game to C:\XCOMA )

Step 3: The game needs the DOS Box, so you have either some .bat file to run this game, or a shortcut. If bat file, look inside it and check what .conf file it is using. If shortcut, then look to its properties to check what .conf file it is using (conf file is a DOSbox configuration file)

Step 4: Open the mentioned .conf file in some notepad, and go to its end. There is the autoexec part and look for a line that start with "imgmount......."
    This line shows you which drive letter will be used as the CD-ROM (iso file).

Step 5: In your installed folder is a file named xcom3.cfg. Open it with notepad. There should be nothing else, just a drive letter in a format "DriveLetter:\" (drive letter is C or D or E or whatever). Change the drive letter inside to the drive letter that is mounted as your cdrom.iso file (you have checked which drive it is in Step 4 - imgmount line in conf file). If the xcom3.cfg looks different, then please close it, you have opened a wrong one. In that case, you should have a subfolder named "C" in your installation directory (C:\XCOMA\C). Look for xcom3.cfg there. Simply open it with notepad and change the drive letter as described above.

STEP 6: Just play the game and enable the music in ingame settings screen. The music should play now.
    I am playing this game for several months now...

makus and Yataka Shimaoka like this.
  11. Yataka Shimaoka

18/28

Best Answers:
    Thanks!! It's true that the game freezes every single time when I enable music. So what I needed to do is just the simple method of uninstall/install process and then follow your instructions! I will notify you if it works.

12. oto lohnicky

oto lohnicky Registered
    3/28

Best Answers:
    Yes.the uninstall / install is just because I think you maybe have adjusted some things in the game files, that maybe caused the game work unexpectly (you wrote here that your dosbox freezed completely). Only thing you need to do is to change the drive letter in xcom3.cfg to the same one which is in .conf file in line imgmount. My steps above are just because you need to find .conf file and find which drive letter you need (my steps are maybe written very detailed and long, but I don't know how experienced in dosbox you are... ). OK, please let meknow the result. If not succesfull I willtry to find where else could the problem be.

13. Yataka Shimaoka

18/28

Best Answers:
    I didn't managed to make it work on my PC, but it is so weird! It works on my phone by the imgmount command,and by configuring the conf file. That was a bit too weird

14. oto lohnicky

oto lohnicky Registered
    3/28

Best Answers:
    please post here what is written in your conf file in bottom section called autoexec. Please post here a picture of your c:\xcoma directory (i need to see which subdirectories are inside....) don't worry we will push it to work...

15. oto lohnicky

oto lohnicky Registered
    3/28

Best Answers:
    and the other way is, I can upload for you my modified game package, which is completely working with music. you just unzip it and play. What do you prefer?

16. Yataka Shimaoka

18/28

Best Answers:
    Well, any is fine.

Can you teach me more about dosbox? I only started using it a few weeks ago and I don't modify anything anyways because I am afraid having corrupted data files

17. oto lohnicky

oto lohnicky Registered
    3/28

Best Answers:
    In general, DOSBox is an DOS emulator. So If you were familiar with DOS in the past, then DOSBox should not be so strange for you, as many commands used there are the same as in the good old DOS. Now DOSBox is used mostly to run old DOS applications like games, that can't be run under Windows. DOSBox has lots of versions, and version to version improves the DOSBox functions and its abilities to emulate DOS for playing games. The latest version is 0.74 as far as I know. Very important is always the .conf file, where you can configure many things, like processor, memory emulations and more... You can start DOSBox just simple as a program, and then you are directly in the "DOS" world and you can "play with DOS"... For now, either post here the picture of your C:\XCOMA directory, or I can upload my version of X-COM Apocalypse, where I have modified the DOSBox files to be able to play the music (I had the same problem as You and I know what to configure). If you want me to "teach" you something more about DOSBox, then we should communicate another way (Facebook, or Skype, or mail or different way), as this web page is designed for Open Apocalypse project and not for DOSBox lessons... :) . For to resolve your problem with the game, please let me know, the best way for you is to use my game package, which is modified to work with music.

Yataka Shimaoka and makus like this.
  18. oto lohnicky

oto lohnicky Registered
    3/28

Best Answers:
    Hi. Okay thanks for message and I will follow you on facebook. To this thread: Do you want the game package from me? (the one where the music is working...)

19. Yataka Shimaoka

18/28

Best Answers:
  20. oto lohnicky

oto lohnicky Registered
    3/28

Best Answers:
    Okay, just please wait a bit. I just realized, that I have modified my game that it is now completely translated to my home language. So I will try to take it back to english language and will let you know. It will be pretty hard, I am not sure about my success... :-( I wil try to do my best and will let you know then.