1. Forum moved (you can use login and pass from old forum)
  2. Many discussions moved to the bugtracker

Some XML files

Discussion in 'Coding' started by Kammerer, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Kammerer

Kammerer Administrator Administrator Translator/Writer

Best Answers:
    Hello, everyone!

I had a little spare time and decided to add some units to the game. The result is attached though I still don't understand the connection between the icons from stratmap.pck and the units. Also as far as I can see shadow images are still not attached to the units.

2. JonnyH

JonnyH Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator

Best Answers:
    These look good - though I will say I currently have some code to try to decode the vehicle definitions from the 'original' apoc data files (here: https://github.com/JonnyH/OpenApoc_Data/) including the vehicle definitions - the lack of vehicles checked into openapoc is more we're waiting until we have proper behaviour beyond proving /some/ vehicles can work instead of lacking the xml definitions required for their sprites etc.

Where possible I've been trying to 'extract' data from the original apoc data instead of writing manually, as this gives is an 'easy' option if we need to change the format for all objects (just edit the extractor and re-run), as we know the current xml definitions of pretty much every object are very non-final (missing data, not sure how we're going to uniquely identify & link stuff together etc.etc.etc)

3. Kammerer

Kammerer Administrator Administrator Translator/Writer

Best Answers:
    Oh, well... I thought only resource files export is automated, not the game parameters. In this case I can agree that manual creation of the XML files is useless.

4. JonnyH

JonnyH Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator

Best Answers:
    Yeah, there's still a whole stack of values we don't really know what they do (see https://github.com/JonnyH/OpenApoc_Data/blob/master/extractors/common/vehicle.h ) - it has a 'top speed' and 'acceleration' value for example, changing them in the vanilla files causes the expected result, but we don't have a good understanding of what they mean (IE what units are they in? How are they modified/relate to other modifiers such as larger engines or weight? How does turning/inertia work? etc.)

So at this point we don't even know what data we'll need, let alone where it is / if it's possible to 'auto-extract' everything.