1. Forum moved (you can use login and pass from old forum)
  2. Many discussions moved to the bugtracker

Suggestion Some neat ideas for OpenApoc

Discussion in 'Game Mods' started by WarStalkeR, Jun 2, 2020.

1. WarStalkeR

WarStalkeR Member Tester Researcher Translator/Writer

Best Answers:
    After playing X-Piratez, a couple of ideas for OpenApoc poped up in my head:

• 1) Presence of the transport ship/dropship at the battlescape: similar to what it was in original X-COM's, where crew starts inside ship, with only difference that if ship gets damaged in battlescape it affects ship's integrity in cityscape as well.
    • 2) Mobile Weapon Platforms in battlescape. I really missed these days when you could mount blaster tanks and obliterate everything just for the sake of it. Also, Hover Tanks. If make them customizable the way soldiers equipment is managed (like in UFO: Afterlight), it will be twice as neat.
    • 3) Large ship landing/takeoff shafts (with 3x3 hangar facilites) and large human + X-COM ships (i.e. same size as large UFOs). I think Avenger Mk.III or Conqueror from X-Piratez will look super neat. In addition, provide aliens with UFOs of even greater sizes and power. Escalating scale of warfare - it should look especially amazing with Apocalypse's level of detail.
    • 4) Make originally prohibited/unused base tiles expandable into corridors for a certain price. Add additional sizes (3x3) of workshops and research labs to support massive production prowess that will allow to produce large ships within reasonable amount of time.
    • 5) Infinite technology that will allow increase/boost something by 1% every time it is researched. To ensure that research labs won't become obsolete and always will have what to do, even if entire research tree is completely unlocked and thoroughly researched.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2020
    makus likes this.
  2. makus

makus Designer, forum admin Administrator Designer/Artist

Best Answers:
    Great to see some activity) thx @WarStalkeR ...

1) is great but I think if you observe the scale our ship will occupy one fourth of the map)
    --- Post Merged, Jun 2, 2020, Original Post Date: Jun 2, 2020 ---
    2) not bad Idea but aliens must have something for balance also
    3) I think this idea have sense only along with other ideas that expand the playing space (add other cities, underground cities, random places, planets, stations)
    --- Post Merged, Jun 2, 2020 ---
    4) make sense
    5) make sense but need balance for aliens and its simpliest way to do work for labs but there can be somthing more...

in general, I see that a lot of improvements ( including mine) are offered for the player himself, for XCOM and less offered for aliens, I think this is a mistake just if we work out the aliens in more detail and their technology the game will be much more interesting

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  3. WarStalkeR

Best Answers:
    I'm pretty sure there is already map implementations of the ships, but only for in-base hangars. We could use them pretty much as is, with only slight modifications that adds internal space, no? At very least I remember having docked vehicles/ships in hangars present in battlescape during base invasion.

Allocation of space/room for modules in UFO's can't be used as reference in this case.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    makus likes this.
  4. makus

Best Answers:
    i only hope so) and i even want find that sprites now coz i can then make PS concept and it will be awesome ...
    --- Post Merged, Jun 7, 2020, Original Post Date: Jun 7, 2020 ---
    btw i can do concept in regards of MWP
    --- Post Merged, Jun 7, 2020 ---
    https://www.mobygames.com/images/promo/original/1530556378-3285737971.png will try this
    https://www.mobygames.com/images/promo/original/1530556378-2629348208.png
    btw Filmboy fround that sprites
    in Apoc/maps folders

5. WarStalkeR

Best Answers:
    Yep, they are. From the looks of it, at very least I will need to do 2x upscale of them. I can do it easily for textures with help of neuro-networks if you want. I have some experience porting and refining explosion and other effects from original Red Alert 2 to Factorio, whilst allowing it to have good looks.

makus likes this.
  6. makus

Best Answers:
    Filmboy finds tahat this sprites located in Maps folder
    and sprites of xcom vehicles deleted (
    Vehiatmission.png here some concept )
    --- Post Merged, Jun 8, 2020, Original Post Date: Jun 8, 2020 ---
    But we have some vehicles as models so i can finish them and maybe do some more and render it
    then its can be cuted to the sprites and photoshoped like that
    02f4.png 02f3.png
    --- Post Merged, Jun 8, 2020 ---
    http://openapoc.org/resources/valkiry-marsec-model-max-and-obj.14/
    http://openapoc.org/resources/hawk-air-warrior-marsec-model-max-and-obj.16/
    need only do interrior and some landing gears
    hhmm but maybe there is some valkiry and hawk in marsec map?
    like police car in megapol maps

7. WarStalkeR

Best Answers:
    I have no problem redesigning tiles for this (although it will be challenging). But I will need some kind of software to test how it will look in-game. As for how much space should be inside vehicles - I will leave this decision up to you. I don't remember max crew capacity limitations per ship, but I will do redesign around what you will tell me.

makus likes this.
  8. makus

Best Answers:
    8 passangers have anihilator
    --- Post Merged, Jun 15, 2020, Original Post Date: Jun 15, 2020 ---
    If we want that agents spawn in it then we no need seats in interion and do like in xcom 1

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020