1. Forum moved (you can use login and pass from old forum)
  2. Many discussions moved to the bugtracker

Soldier names

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Solarius Scorch, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Solarius Scorch

Solarius Scorch Call to Power modder Global Moderator

Best Answers:
    While working on translation I noticed the ufo_string file contains soldier names. please specify if names will work like in the Openxcom, where you have separate files for each nationality/language convention, and these files can be modified further (or new ones added), or will you stick to the original format?
    I personally strongly suggest mimicking the Openxcom method, since it has no impact on the gameplay but allows for easy adding stuff for the players' content (and I believe Mega-Primus should be even more multinational than 1999 X-Com). Possibly with dropping the separate files, since all names and surnames seem to be completely mixed in Apocalypse anyway (Pierre Ragulin, Brenda Yamaguchi etc.).

The reason I ask at this point is to specify if I should translate strings or not.

2. Solarius Scorch

Best Answers:
    Yes, I know, but it's still not telling me what to do. Sure, I can translate the entire Internet if I want to. :p My question is if I have to, or the translation would be incomplete otherwise. (If soldier names are extracted into separate files, I highly doubt these files would have to be translated.)

3. Solarius Scorch

Best Answers:
    OK, thanks! Will be done. (As soon as I determine how I should spell Japanese names. :p)

4. JonnyH

JonnyH Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator

Best Answers:
    We haven't looked at soldier name generation yet - but I can see having a nationality-specific list of first/last names to be useful in this going forward.

(possibly with a bit of fuzz too, as not everyone British has a British name etc..)

5. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Registered

Best Answers:
    Should include the names of all the contributors in the mix.