1. Forum moved (you can use login and pass from old forum)
  2. Many discussions moved to the bugtracker

Road Cars need to not fail

Discussion in 'Game Mods' started by The Reaver of Darkness, Sep 7, 2014.

1. bobucles

bobucles Registered

Best Answers:
    But they're not the same size. Hoverbikes have twice the crew capacity and a vast improvement in engine power. In addition hoverbikes cost $5K while road bikes are a mere $2K (engine upgrades not included). That's right. If you thought a dozen hoverbikes was good, try 30 machine gun/rendor plasma toting bikes. That's a lotta dakka!

Despite being a terrible gun against UFOs, Road bike guns will provide a HUGE increase of firepower on the average cityscape. These bikes are all over the place and there's pretty much one or two always active somewhere.

2. Solarius Scorch

Solarius Scorch Call to Power modder Global Moderator

Best Answers:
    Okay, the Hoverbike has a sidecar. :p Still, doesn't explain why it would be able to pack a bigger gun. And it is normal that the engine power is higher, since it's a flying vehicle!

3. bobucles

bobucles Registered

Best Answers:
    I know you want the 1x2 weapon so bad, but in all seriousness 1x2 is just an AWFUL weapon size. You get the selection of TWO guns. The chaingun is almost completely useless, and the elerium gun is far too scarce to utilize. Hovercars already lose their utility as the game progresses, and will greatly suffer if OpenApoc fixes literally anything related to air combat. They do not need this nerf.

I can perhaps understand increasing the cost of a Hoverbike a tad, or maybe making ground vehicles a bit cheaper. But after the price of engine upgrades a hoverbike is pretty much on par with hovercars.

I would like to see basic bikes have some kind of weapon. It's not so much that it would help XCOM. Rather it would place an enormous number of armed vehicles on the road, because these bikes are all over the place. Nothing like making the city a bit more vibrant!

4. The Reaver of Darkness

The Reaver of Darkness Registered

Best Answers:
    The problem with allowing the Blazer Turbo Bike to carry a weapon is that that makes it a military vehicle, and thus illegal for anyone other than X-Com to drive around the city. You may notice that, barring the aliens making a direct assault against someone's building(s), the only corporation to assist X-Com in fighting the aliens is Megapol, and they only use specially licensed low-power police vehicles with weak weapons. Every major corporation has an immense fighting force of military vehicles complete with strong armaments, and presumably they are only allowed to have them if the vehicles stay in the garage for anything but a direct attack. This is further evidenced by gangs bringing military vehicles out and even as they have barely left the garage, there are already alerts going out that an illegal vehicle is on the loose.

Perhaps X-Com could use a special upgraded bike with a weapon slot, but all civilian use would need to be weaponless. One way to add more weapons to the city would be to place them on automated vehicles. It doesn't seem unreasonable for the senate to agree to weapons used in "preventing" city damage placed on the city repair vehicles, as long as Synthemesh agents are prevented from tampering with the vehicles' control systems. Those vehicles would be hesitant to fire upon alien craft, though, but would prefer shooting at one to letting it shoot at the city.

5. bobucles

bobucles Registered

Best Answers:
    Pffft. When has legality ever stopped a criminal organization from getting guns? There are plenty of crime organizations in Megaprimus, and they would absolutely enjoy having a little power under the hood.

As you have already mentioned, every single building in the city has a fleet of warships at their disposal. It is a complete mystery why XCOM is needed at all, given that any single organization already has the firepower to lay the alien dimension to waste. Buuuut I chalk that up to a case of incomplete city mechanics. After all something is needed to hold back XCOM if they go rogue.

6. Solarius Scorch

Solarius Scorch Call to Power modder Global Moderator

Best Answers:
    I understand your arguments are about balance, and I completely agree with this, but it doesn't mean that we can suspend our disbelief without limits. Both vehicles are virtually the same size and of similar build, so I don't really buy it that one can equip a weapon class that is significantly bigger. I'd rather see some new weapon for the bikes to smooth the balance.

This is a... very astute observation, actually. Very consistent mechanics.

7. bobucles

bobucles Registered

Best Answers:
    Hmm. Yeah. I guess. There are a LOT of reasons that turbo bikes would suck, even if they had a 1x3 weapon mount to play with. They still suffer from low coverage, extreme vulnerability, and a narrow firing cone. They also start hitting the market limits of how many launchers and missiles XCOM has access to. The extra cost of weapon and ammo would keep the price closer to hoverbikes than you might think, so it could work out okay.

What, you think I'd allow both bikes to suffer with the most worthless mount size in the game? That would just be cruel.

8. Grimagor

Grimagor Registered

Best Answers:
    Honestly I don't find any place suitable for the razor turbo bike, as Bobucles says, it have more inconvenients to make them usefull
    I'll think that we should focus more in the others ground crafts.