1. Forum moved (you can use login and pass from old forum)
  2. Many discussions moved to the bugtracker

Polish translation

Discussion in 'Translations' started by Solarius Scorch, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Solarius Scorch

Solarius Scorch Call to Power modder Global Moderator

Best Answers:
    I've started the Polish translation project. For now, I'm working locally on my drive, and will share when done (obviously this will take a lot of time, but it's not like people are going play the game any time soon) or decide to take a longer break.

For now, I would like to report the following decisions on my part:

• I've decided to not translate the "hover" word. It's common enough in Polish cyberpunk to be left alone, I only changed the spelling to "hower" for consistency.
    • I've changed Hawk Air Warrior to Fighter-Bomber Hawk. The original was already campy, but after translation it became pure cringe inducement. If other ideas come up, I'll be happy to consider them.
    • Psi-Gym was hard to translate. Finally it was translated as "sala psimnastyczna", which is a jarring neologism comparable to wackier works by Lem (even if way less cool), but I've decided that the game convention allows us some leeway here. After all, this is a cyberpunkish alien invasion game, no?

I'll keep updating this list as I work through the text.

Oh, and I added the pl-pl string to the LANGUAGES.XML.

2. ivandogovich

ivandogovich Registered

Best Answers:
    I think there should be a lot of latitude in choosing translations like this. I think you are taking the right path with this, Solarius. :)

3. Solarius Scorch

Best Answers:
    Thanks, will keep working on this. :)

4. Skin36

Skin36 Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator

Best Answers:
    do you have a Polish disk image?

5. Solarius Scorch

Best Answers:
    Sadly, no. I know it used to exist (because I played it ages ago), but I can't find it anywhere on the internet. I don't even know if it was official or not, but it was actually pretty good.

6. Kammerer

Kammerer Administrator Administrator Translator/Writer

Best Answers:
    As far as I can understand this page: http://www.strategycore.co.uk/databank/games/x-com-apocalypse/game-versions/ - the Polish edition is absolutely official. I managed to find the download links on the Internet (for example:

http://www.extragry.pl/gry/tytul/x-com-apocalypse-pl.html
    http://stare.e-gry.net/download/x-com-apocalypse
    http://www.gisland.fora.pl/programy-do-gier,26/x-com-apocalypse-pl,103.html )

but the first two ask to pay for download and the last one is already dead.

And sorry for being a little offtopic - we managed to find all of the other listed official images except Polish (i. e. German, Italian and French) and now skin36 tries to upload the translations to Transifex. Moreover, I found the unofficial Spanish and Chech versions of the game and these versions will also be added later as working drafts of the translations on those languages.

7. Solarius Scorch

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I found them too. And, uh, working on it. :)

EDIT: Where are the ufo_string.po strings located? I have completed the Paedia_string.po.

8. Kammerer

Best Answers:
    This file is created by a script written by skin36. Those strings are taken from the exe files, i.e. UFO2P.EXE and TACP.EXE.

And we have one more problem related to all of the official translations of the game. The official CDs contained the intros and outros translated in French, Italian, German and Polish. Of course, these videos are integrated only to the appropriate images. I think it would be great to use these videos or at least their audiotracks. At the same time we have a copyright problem.

9. Solarius Scorch

Best Answers:
    Ouch, that's a problem, since I wanted to extract Polish strings from localised version.

Would adding subtitles violate American laws? I know it would in Poland, because doing unauthorised translation is forbidden...

10. Kammerer

Best Answers:
    Not a problem :). Using the script he already extracted the strings from German, French, Italian, Spanish and Czech exe files. You can do it manually by opening the exes with any text processor or hex editor but it'll require a lot of work. I think it would be better send him the two exes - he'll make a PO and upload it to Transifex where you can edit the result.

11. Skin36

Skin36 Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator

Best Answers:
    Hi Solarius Scorch im see 10 Issue in Polish translation. Can u fix that ?

12. Solarius Scorch

Best Answers:
    Well, it's only half done anyway, and I'm not really in a position to finish it all by myself. But I'll have a look at the issues.

EDIT: I don't think any of these issues affect PL version, especially since half is still undone. But it's always good to check.