1. Forum moved (you can use login and pass from old forum)
  2. Many discussions moved to the bugtracker

Night missions in Apoc

Discussion in 'Game Mods' started by Jos, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Jos

Jos Registered

Best Answers:
    So while we're stoking up the enthusiasm for Apoc, I'd like to throw in one of my big desires: Night missions.

Often times i've heared people say they wish Apoc had the dark, tense night missions of UFO:EU. I agree. SO MUCH. It was surely one of the biggest things they left out - especially when the day/night cycle is already there in the cityscape! In my mind, they surely must've intended to include night missions, but ran out of time/money. Anyway, i think it is the single most powerful change for the game i can think of in terms of graphics and atmosphere.

What do you guys think?

makus likes this.
  2. Solarius Scorch

Solarius Scorch Call to Power modder Global Moderator

Best Answers:
    I think it depends on the aliens.

In X-Com, all aliens had night vision. This was a good method to make the player their bitch, and that was good, but on the other hand it was really simplistic. I never really liked night missions, not because they were harder, but they were illogically unfair too.

I wouldn't mind seeing a darkness mechanic in OpenApoc. However, it would require something more than just making the aliens ignore it.

3. bobucles

bobucles Registered

Best Answers:
    Smoke brought vision levels on both sides down to the same thing, even in the dark. It's kind of dumb but you really want smoke the most on night missions.

4. Grimagor

Grimagor Registered

Best Answers:
    Night battles only affect in UFO Crash and slums.
    In both cases X-com can force the sector to open the lights for a better fight.
    Don't misunderstand me, it could be cool but I think there are more stuff to fix before ;)

5. Solarius Scorch

Best Answers:
    Calling the air support... with enormous searchlights! :D

6. Grimagor

Grimagor Registered

Best Answers:
    I was thinking in something like this...
    "Open all the damm lights of the sector! I don't care if it's 3:00am. I don't wanna see the agents burned down because some slum homeless are sleeping! C'mon boys! it's time to kill more Aliens!!!"

7. bobucles

bobucles Registered

Best Answers:
    The agent's suits could also be providing tactical night vision. I mean I don't want to play half of my games with a green tint but full color NV is not out of the question for a 24th century city.

8. The Reaver of Darkness

The Reaver of Darkness Registered

Best Answers:
    Among my ideas for new armor suits is Night Raid Armor available at the start, purchased from Megapol which offers slightly less protection than Megapol armor but is a dark color and doesn't make sound when you move, so it would be effective for hiding at night from other humans as well as any aliens that actually use vision and/or hearing/vibrations to find you. If they use infrared vision, smell, or psionic sense then they could see you anyway.

The Night Raid armor would come with two helmet options, basic and a "Tech Helmet", a special week 2 variant which is much more expensive but includes night vision as well as shared vision with your other soldiers also wearing the Night Raid Tech Helmet. The night vision is combined light amplification and infrared, allowing you to see a grainy version of everything dark, while lights would provide a lot of glare. The infrared vision would make warm units and objects glow, making them easier to spot as well as giving you a blurry image of them even right through some types of wall. You could turn the night vision off if you need to in order to see in a lit area.

During the night, my thoughts were that what shows on the game screen is based on who you have selected, making parts of the map invisible even though another one of your soldiers can see over there. The Tech Helmet would add shared vision to allow your soldier to see all things that can be seen by anyone else in the squad with shared vision.

-----

Another suit I came up with which may be less popular (intentionally so) is the Safety Armor. This is also available from Megapol at the start of the game. It offers protection between Night Raid and Basic Megapol, and is brightly colored with orange and lime green reflectors and glow-in-the-dark decals. It has a significant resistance to heat/fire/incendiary, laser, and plasma. This is useful to protect your soldiers from friendly fire if you use laser and plasma weapons or can make raiding other corporations safer. You can also use it to run through fire as you torch a building. But all-in-all I want it to be in-game less for X-Com's use and more for flavor, as something Megapol might use sometimes and might as well make available for X-Com purchase.

The Safety Armor would have lights on the helmet which can light your path at night. The reflectors and decals make you easy to see at night. And lastly, some players might just find the appearance of such armor to be appealing despite any tactical disadvantages it may offer.

9. Grimagor

Grimagor Registered

Best Answers:
    As I said up, It's should be nice and cool but I prefer to focus the effort in other stuff. Because most part of the missions are inside buildings.

10. Solarius Scorch

Best Answers:
    New armours are fun to think about, but they would require complex modifications to the code and also much design work - for example, how they interact with other/no armour pieces (what if your stealth suit is missing an arm?). Plus probably an entire detection system by various wavelengths, sound and so on (like in UFO: Aftershock).

Nice concept (I love UFO: Aftershock), but definitely not a priority.

11. The Reaver of Darkness

The Reaver of Darkness Registered

Best Answers:
    I'll post a response in my armor thread.