1. Forum moved (you can use login and pass from old forum)
  2. Many discussions moved to the bugtracker

News/events mod that affects the supply of goods and the relations of organizations

Discussion in 'Game Mods' started by makus, Sep 23, 2018.

1. makus

makus Designer, forum admin Administrator Designer/Artist

Best Answers:
    News can pop up in right top corner and can have own log window button
    you need to write two news options positive and negative
    People can in future make own news for this mod

News describes events that occur in the world and the player himself will need to draw conclusions about how the news can affect the organization or the delivery of goods (or money) at the end of the week.

News exemples:
    • - news about new places where found elerium for extraction
    • - news about difficult economic situation of the organization or bankruptcy, corruption
    • - Hacker attack which led to negative consequences or to the leakage of secret data , major exposure
    • - separatists who came to victory or defeat, riots, food riots
    • - news about financial fraud
    • - natural disasters that affected other cities:
    • mega-tsunami, mega-hurricanes, mega-fires, the fall of a meteorite or an old satellite into the city, accidents on large objects
    • - news about breakthrough new technologies, satellite launches, weather control/weapon or terraforming satellites, early warning satellites, heads in the jar
    • - the actions of the Investigation Committee

for inspiration you can use:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summa_Technologiae
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/403846291565029825/

This is an invitation for the Ace) u clearly have talents for this

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    FilmBoy84 likes this.
  2. FilmBoy84

FilmBoy84 Administrator Administrator Tester Researcher

Best Answers:
    I like this idea a lot, expanding the game with news articles that give more depth as to what is going on elsewhere would make the game feel more alive. Having those articles report on events that then change the economy or political situation is even better. Great Idea

Would this be implemented in a similar manner to Transport Tycoon where a message on the info bar could be expanded to a full news article?

Or would we add a new section to the UFOPedia that held all articles?

Or both?

I think news from the other MegaCities and Mars would help flesh out the fact that Apocalypse is still about a global invasion, even if the game focusses on just one of the cities.

After-all, all these organisations are still operating elsewhere around the globe and in space

Hearing about what other X-COM, Marsec and Megapol authorities are up to would really enhance the immersion

makus likes this.
  3. makus

Best Answers:
    i write about log window button dono if full article needed.
    but its bassically extention to my first idea mod and ye news log can be one from ufopedia chapter
    http://openapoc.org/threads/mod-that-allow-add-any-amount-articles-in-ufopaedia-in-game.246/
    and i think best of all this will work if there will be online service for adding this articles and news for any who want to do this wich moderation
    that can work like one time universe that send from server to client some news and articles online
    news mod harder because news/event has to have some kind of influence on the game

Oh, and of course I forgot about the types of news about the Lovecraft universe.
    where it is possible news about mysterious creatures who attacked, or were just seen, at remote outposts etc.
    We come up with such news and articles that can serve as a soft link to the Phoenix Point game Lore

FilmBoy84 likes this.
  4. FilmBoy84

FilmBoy84 Administrator Administrator Tester Researcher

Best Answers:
    I guess a logical means to have the game include news from an online source would be to implement some RSS feed client into OpenApoc. The source server for those RSS updates could then be moderated with only approved news updates being broadcast.

The next complex issue would be getting the game to actually respond to those events correctly by altering prices and availability of items in the store, or changing the relations scales (each organisation having two IIRC between -100 and +100 in how they relate to any other organisation).

I guess keyword analysis of a RSS update would be the only way to do that?

A failsafe for "no server connection" would also be required, so some articles would have to be shipped with the core OpenApoc program as well as the means to generate articles from random fields of information/news on the client side

In either case, if this could be implemented, it would be a fascinating feature.

Elite: Dangerous runs both a news station and a radio station (Radio Sidewinder) as a similar kind of thing to what i envision being implemented in Apoc...

https://www.radiosidewinder.com/

makus likes this.
  5. makus

Best Answers:
    i need look at fool RSS capabilities first or we can ask out from programmers
    "no server connection" - its choice of who play) also need more work on mod idea i feel its have great potential

about radio ... its can have own home page wich all news that already released that can be commented
    and other page where its can be added