1. Forum moved (you can use login and pass from old forum)
  2. Many discussions moved to the bugtracker

Suggestion New forum engine and new style - its only beginning of changes!

Discussion in 'General help - Troubleshooting - Feedback' started by makus, Mar 22, 2017.

1. makus

makus Designer, forum admin Administrator Designer/Artist

Best Answers:
    New forum engine and new style - its only beginning of changes!
    what I'm talking about?

Let's see.. i try now explain:
    1. To finish OpenApoc faster we need more programmers, disassemblers etc
    2. So for this we need (that many ppl know about project as possible) draw and interested in working more programmers from internet
    3. Also we can write to Jullian Gollop and tell about project and ask about any support (iwn its be just right of mention that JG suport our project)

But beacose of:
    1. pmprog and JonnyH no activity
    2. And beacose main domain site is outdated and gives a negative impression then a positive
    3. beacose this forum practically death also and there is bether forum engines then SMF
    4. So we have 2 death website that we can combine and squeeze the maximum to boost project

So to show ppl that we in active fase we can make next:
    1. Convert forum and make style for it and move to main domain ..attractive and user friendly (wich many functions)
    2. Ask our community be more active (at least make comments for updates))
    3. When we will have forum on openapoc.org we can start write short description of project
    to Jullian Gollop in order to show the work done (and our cool forum and not outdated blog)
    and ask about any support, new info about Apoc. (mb in exchange for advertisements new project of JG)
    4. Then we write full article on our new forum
    (
    -wich include info about suport of Jullian Gollop and mb some info from him
    -and callout about helping to repost this article to bring more attention to project
    -wich description that for quick finish project we need more programmers and everyone
    can help by repost this article (mb some video in it)
    )

and send it to game portals, wikis, social groups etc.
    5. After this, i hope, we get critical mass to get great boost to the project
    6. And i think making all in that order important in order to gain maximum benefits!

So i already setup forum engine and almost finish style for it

Now we need blessing pmprog and files and bd of old forum for convertation
    also JonnyH who change dns for any new host
    and by this will start chain of events that hope bring us to success =D

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  2. makus

Best Answers:
    also we need act quick beacose of spring and summer when ppl
    go vacations and just basically dont want sit at home and work)

so if you support idea just say so here and hope we convince pmprog

3. Istrebitel

Istrebitel Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator

Best Answers:
    Jonny? Pmprog? I think we should go with what makus suggests.

makus likes this.
  4. Kammerer

Kammerer Administrator Administrator Translator/Writer

Best Answers:
    While I highly doubt we can bring Julian's attention to the project I think something should be done with the site since most of the opensource remakes I'm familiar with have their own websites. Right now the OpenApoc website is dead since no one is able to work on it.

I know that at the moment we still can't speak even about the 0.1 milestone release but some of the points proposed by mackus may bring some attention of the coders. At least we can try if that's not so difficult.

makus likes this.
  5. makus

Best Answers:
    Yep Kam i totally understand that its free opensource project and each do what he can do
    and if member cant make work that he do previous beacose of life etc etc it's totally understandable

but if you cant - give us this flag and we continue ... and hope finish it =}

6. makus

Best Answers:
    here wallpaper ) 1920 1080
    [​IMG]

7. Istrebitel

Best Answers:
    I could argue on 0.1 release too. IDK if OpenApoc already promised something for 0.1 release, but anyways, we have:
    - Cityscape flying vehicle mechanics working (you can equip, fly vehicles, they shoot, projectiles work)
    - Battlescape Real Time ALL mechanics almost done (what's left is stealth field and motion scanner, and it's 100% done). After we finish the UI for inventory and agent squads, battlescape is actually fully playable in RT.

makus likes this.
  8. makus

Best Answers:
    Here ty for kammerer we find out about Julian ask me anything topic
    btw Julian make xcom like strategy ...

so i ask question about openapoc and ask support and Julian answer
    so we have now Julian support for OpenApoc \o/ ;D
    and soon we make article!

fix link
    https://www.reddit.com/r/PhoenixPoint/comments/60tn6x/i_am_the_designer_of_xcom_and_phoenix_point_ask/df9xy2w/

also look here about new game
    https://www.reddit.com/r/PhoenixPoint/comments/60tn6x/i_am_the_designer_of_xcom_and_phoenix_point_ask/df98f44/

9. Mustang

Mustang Megapol Agent Tester Researcher

Best Answers:
    The social media outreach is working, I had thought the project long dead until I saw Facebook updates coming in recently. I imagine it did the same for others

makus likes this.
  10. makus

Best Answers:
    Exactly Mustang !!! ty

11. JonnyH

JonnyH Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator

Best Answers:
    Yeah, sorry for my inactivity, I've been on holiday for the last couple of weeks, and busy with work so less free time.

I would *love* for there to be better 'community outreach' - I kinda see this still as a 'fun coding project' - which means I often skip over giving updates and keeping communication going, which is clearly not great. I normally idle in the IRC at work, so I'm often 'active' there, but that's not really visible and a rather small (and likely shrinking, people don't seem to think text is enough these days!) community.

I still work on the code when I get time, but that again isn't often visible to many.

So people turning that into *useful community updates* would be a great resource in my view. I don't really have time to manage and admin a server for the forums, so I've just left that onto pmprog (which isn't great as his free time has been cut short too) so moving the forums would also have my blessing.

Hopefully now I'm back from holiday (and have my batteries recharged :) I'll be able to continue work on larger features, and I'll try to highlight possibly interesting progress so we can put posts on facebook/youtube/the forum/wherever (A quick comment on which of these people actually read might be useful to help me focus on those BTW)

makus likes this.
  12. Istrebitel

Best Answers:
    Great, you're back!

It's no problem that you see it as "fun project" but I guess me and makus we see it more seriously (I guess it's also a Russian thing - we're more serious about things we do, usually, even for fun).

Like, I want this game done. I have made a lot of work (in fact, since I'm planning and counting, I can even state the exact amount - 510 hours). And I want it to be finished ASAP so that my (and others) work can finally be useful to people. That's how I treat it. That's why we want to do everything in order to increase our chances of achieving that, and not waste time.

Right now what is most important is to transition to the better website with active community stuff. You can see that after I've started publishing updates people started offering help again. We need all this activity to get people interested and involved. Just several more people (devs and testers/experimenters) and we could have barebones playable OpenApoc in several months and complete vanilla game in half a year.

So yeah, when you have a bit of time to spare, please contact makus and do what is needed to transition to new website (dns, forum dump, something else?)

As for coding, how far did you get with agent inventory screen? Would be great if you could finish it, or if not, share what you've done so I could build on it instead of making it from scratch. And I'll keep a list of issues updated in the battlescape topic.

Thanks!

makus likes this.
  13. makus

Best Answers:
    Ok so we move forum
    now we need to
    - finish article about OpenApoc (pls feel free write your own variation )
    - finish questions for Julian and send it (pls feel free write your own questions)
    - finish forum tune
    - finish contribution page
    - sends mails to all forum members with contribute appeal
    - send article to dif resources

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  14. Mustang

Best Answers:
    I was initially looking into contributing in the programming department but I'm a pretty amateur developer, however you mentioned needing testers and software testing is my career. If testers are needed, how should I go about helping out?

makus likes this.
  15. makus

Best Answers:
    Р
    Hey Mustang here in header link https://freeapoc.slack.com/
    go there in slak istrebitel or skin36 will tell you

16. Mustang

Best Answers:
    Alright thank you, I'm on lunch at work currently but I'll drop by when I can

makus likes this.