1. Forum moved (you can use login and pass from old forum)
  2. Many discussions moved to the bugtracker

My new armor ideas (seeking artists!)

Discussion in 'Game Mods' started by The Reaver of Darkness, Dec 23, 2014.

1. bobucles

bobucles Registered
    14/28

Best Answers:
    The behavior of stun gas IS very odd, I won't deny that. But brainsuckers are FAST. When a brainsucker runs through 8 spaces of stun gas and attacks your soldier, it's your fault you didn't have proximity mines or anyone ready with reaction fire. Simply having the reaction fire available seems to screw with the AI, causing brainsuckers to spin in circles until they pass out.

If you were that close to a pod in turn based mode, you were close enough to run over and pick them up. If this is not true, you are pushing too hard and too fast and you got punished for it. It's not the game's fault you weren't prepared.

Brainsucker pods have long range proximity sensors and will not hatch if targets are out of range. I don't know if that includes civilians or aliens, but it is possible to deny hatching if your guys aren't there.

2. Solarius Scorch

Solarius Scorch Call to Power modder Global Moderator
    41/56

Best Answers:
    Is it really true? I've never noticed this behaviour, and I think I should have over all these years (brainsuckers are very important).

3. bobucles

bobucles Registered
    0/28

Best Answers:
    It's more obvious in turn based mode, where you can waste a pod holding alien and run away before triggering anything.

4. bobucles

bobucles Registered
    0/28

Best Answers:
    But Androids already exist. They start out tougher than humans and are immune to several alien attacks.

XCOM Disruptor armor and shields already bring agents up to super durable levels. Teleporting agents are already basically invincible.

5. Huaptlo

Huaptlo Registered
    26/28

Best Answers:
    It's been really long time since I played last and even longer for playing it in turn based mode. I feel the game was designed around being real-time, it makes killing fast aliens like Brainsuckers and Poppers much easier. It is also somehow more horrtfying watching a Popper run for your squad while they keep firing at and just missing or just shrugging off the few hits it gets, then you try to scatter your soldiers in a last effort to take as little damage as possible. Trying to run away from a Boomeroid that is bouncing behind your soldier.

Turn based made it really silly for me as I got annoyed when a Anthropod runs from somewhere, fires a Brainsucker Pod even further that then hatches and the Brainsucker just runs even further. Or that it was a bit too easy for you to run a agent one square away from a Anthropod, fill it with lead from a Machine Gun and pick up the Pods that was left on the alien (where do they keep them anyway, they don't have clothes or armor with pockets?).

What I remember from turn-based was using Marsec Body Part for flying, flying high in open areas worked against Poppers good and making stunning them good, but Brainsuckers could jump silly high, like 6-8 squares straight up. I think the Brainsuckers needs to be able to jump to the square above your soldier to be able to make its attack, so if you are flying on the square beneath a roof/floor/whatever the Brainsucker can't jump and attack you. Flying also makes Autocannon HE rounds so much more better.

But anyway, I don't know how many millenia ago it was that I played last so I might be completely wrong.

On the topic of armors, the 3 armors of Marsec, Megapol and XCOM were a bit few, it would be nice to have some diversity and having to make some more choices. Not that you just go from Tier 1 to 2 to 3 etc.

6. Voiddweller

Voiddweller Registered
    14/28

Best Answers:
    Actually, existing game art can be used to make new armors. Like megapol, gang or couple of other costumes. You only have to draw some paperdoll art. With some edits and recoloring, vanilla armors can be turned into something new. Actually originals could use some clean-up as well.
    I used to make some modifications years ago, like a new helmet for megapol armor. I lost all my old stuff with my ancient HDD.

Vanilla paperdolls can use some redesign as well. While i love apocalypse retro-futuristic style, armors just looking stupid. Except that top tier blue suit.