1. Forum moved (you can use login and pass from old forum)
  2. Many discussions moved to the bugtracker

My new armor ideas (seeking artists!)

Discussion in 'Game Mods' started by The Reaver of Darkness, Dec 23, 2014.

1. The Reaver of Darkness

The Reaver of Darkness Registered

Best Answers:
    I did post some tidbits about these elsewhere in this forum, but I'm on an armor suit kick so I want to layout my full list in all its glory. I probably will never manage to implement all of this into a mod, but I'm going to try.

Megapol Armor
    Head: P 44 | W 9 | C 400 - 50% gas resist
    Body: P 45 | W 14 | C 400
    Larm: P 38 | W 10 | C 300
    Rarm: P 38 | W 10 | C 300
    Legs: P 42 | W 12 | C 400
    Total: P 207 | W 55 | C 1800

The iconic Megapol armor. I've given it 50% gas resist because it bears a helmet which covers the face. It seems reasonable that this armor would come with a breathing filter. Other helmets also tend to have this, but not always.

Megapol Light Combat Armor
    Head: P 22 | W 3 | C 150
    Body: P 23 | W 5 | C 150
    Larm: P 19 | W 3 | C 110
    Rarm: P 19 | W 3 | C 110
    Legs: P 21 | W 4 | C 150
    Total: P 104 | W 18 | C 670

This armor offers weak protection but is lightweight and cheap. It can be useful for weaker soldiers or if you wish to remain mobile, and can additionally be mixed with standard Megapol armor to get the weight to protection ratio you want. The helmet does not cover the face and has no breathing filter.

I don't expect this to be used much by players, but I want to add it for flavor value, as something that Megapol agents are more likely to wear. Perhaps it would also be seen commonly around the city when you raid buildings, and you might score some for free!

Night Raid Armor
    available at the start, purchased from Megapol
    Head: P 40 | W 7 | C 600 - night stealth, 50% gas resist
    Tech Helmet: P 38 | W 9 | C 1800 - available week 2, night stealth, 50% gas resist, night vision, shared vision
    Body: P 41 | W 11 | C 700 - night stealth
    Larm: P 34 | W 8 | C 525 - night stealth
    Rarm: P 34 | W 8 | C 525 - night stealth
    Legs: P 38 | W 9 | C 800 - night stealth, quieter walk sound
    Total: P 187 | W 43 | C 3150
    Total w/ Tech Helmet: P 185 | W 45 | C 4350

intended for use after night combat is implemented into the game
    Offers slightly less protection than Megapol armor but is a dark color and doesn't make sound when you move, so it would be effective for hiding at night from other humans as well as any aliens that actually use vision and/or hearing/vibrations to find you. If they use infrared vision, smell, or psionic sense then they could see you anyway.

The Night Raid armor would come with two helmet options, basic and a "Tech Helmet", a special week 2 variant which is much more expensive but includes night vision as well as shared vision with your other soldiers also wearing the Night Raid Tech Helmet. The night vision is combined light amplification and infrared, allowing you to see a grainy version of everything dark, while lights would provide a lot of glare. The infrared vision would make warm units and objects glow, making them easier to spot as well as giving you a blurry image of them even right through some types of wall. You could turn the night vision off if you need to in order to see in a lit area.

During the night, my thoughts were that what shows on the game screen is based on who you have selected, making parts of the map invisible even though another one of your soldiers can see over there. The Tech Helmet would add shared vision to allow your soldier to see all things that can be seen by anyone else in the squad with shared vision.

Safety Armor
    available at the start, purchased from Megapol
    Head: P 42 | W 8 | C 600 - 50% gas resist, head lamp, night visibility, 33% fire/laser/plasma resist
    Body: P 43 | W 13 | C 600 - night visibility, 33% fire/laser/plasma resist
    Larm: P 36 | W 9 | C 450 - night visibility, 33% fire/laser/plasma resist
    Rarm: P 36 | W 9 | C 450 - night visibility, 33% fire/laser/plasma resist
    Legs: P 40 | W 11 | C 600 - night visibility, 33% fire/laser/plasma resist
    Total: P 197 | W 50 | C 2700

This armor may be less popular to the player than others, which is intentional. It offers protection between Night Raid and Basic Megapol, and is brightly colored with orange and lime green reflectors and glow-in-the-dark decals. It has a significant resistance to heat/fire/incendiary, laser, and plasma. This is useful to protect your soldiers from friendly fire if you use laser and plasma weapons or can make raiding other corporations safer. You can also use it to run through fire as you torch a building. But all-in-all I want it to be in-game less for X-Com's use and more for flavor, as something Megapol might use sometimes and might as well make available for X-Com purchase.

The Safety Armor would have a light on the helmet which can light your path at night. The reflectors and decals make you easy to see at night. And lastly, some players might just find the appearance of such armor to be appealing despite any tactical disadvantages it may offer.

Marsec Armor
    Head: P 38 | W 4 | C 700 - 75% gas resist (set)
    Body: P 35 | W 12 | C 1200 - 75% gas resist (set), anti-gravity
    Larm: P 32 | W 5 | C 600
    Rarm: P 32 | W 5 | C 600
    Legs: P 36 | W 6 | C 600
    Total: P 173 | W 32 | C 1800

The full suit offers significant protection from outside atmospheric conditions as it is designed for use on Mars which, even post-Terraforming, has much thinner air than Earth. This expensive armor is also made of a very lightweight but strong material. It is considerably weaker than Megapol armor but offers a much better strength to weight ratio, and as such is a good replacement for the light Megapol armor if you can afford this.

The helmet's face mask creates a seal with the body unit and connects to an advanced air filtration unit which can produce oxygen from carbon dioxide.

Hazmat Suit
    available at start, purchased from Evonet
    Head: P 10 | W 7 | C 600 - 100% gas resist (set), 75% fire/acid/enzyme resist, 25% brainsucker resist
    Body: P 22 | W 10 | C 900 - 100% gas resist (set), 75% fire/acid/enzyme resist
    Larm: P 10 | W 5 | C 400 - 100% gas resist (set), 75% fire/acid/enzyme resist
    Rarm: P 10 | W 5 | C 400 - 100% gas resist (set), 75% fire/acid/enzyme resist
    Legs: P 16 | W 8 | C 700 - 100% gas resist (set), 75% fire/acid/enzyme resist
    Total: P 68 | W 35 | C 3000

Hazmat suits are a legacy of a bygone era, when humans were actually being sent into spill zones to clean them up manually. Evonet keeps and maintains these suits, preferring to use them in emergencies rather than attempt to recycle their components which, admittedly, are actually rather bad things to put in the waste disposal. You can purchase a few of these from Evonet but they will not make more for you if you lose them.

This is another armor I don't expect to be used much by players, and is added as a flavor item. It offers very little protection from physical attacks, but the body and leg units have actual metal plates in them. Otherwise its use is to protect against caustics, acids, and other nasty pollutants. Due to the nature of the fabric not interacting with acids and bases, it is very resistant to alien enzymes and salivas. Being a fully enclosed suit, it protects the wearer from all gas attacks as long as all units of the suit are equipped. The full facial covering might offer some protection against brainsuckers, but we don't recommend relying on such a weak material to protect your soldiers from those monsters. (Brainsucker has a 25% chance of failing outright in addition to its normal chance of failure, overall it still protects less from brainsuckers than basic Megapol helmet.)

Brainsucker Helmet
    Produced by X-Com and can be researched after a live Brainsucker has been researched.
    Head: P 30 | W 8 | C 900 - 33% gas resist, has +100% armor vs. brainsucker

The Brainsucker Helmet is a response to the alien threat of brainsuckers and brings our human ingenuity into the war against the aliens. This helmet is designed specifically to thwart brainsucker attacks. It fits over the face of the soldier and protects their mouth from unwanted intrusion while also bearing spikes on the cranium which make it difficult for the brainsucker to properly grasp the soldier's head without hurting itself in the process. This helmet is not rated for weapons fire and is not guaranteed to stop a bullet.

I want to make brainsucker attacks' success rate dependent on the helmet armor the soldier is wearing, with an exposed head having almost a 100% chance of success while a megapol helmet would bring the chance down to around 60% success.

Power Armor
    This armor is sold by Cyberweb. The arms are available at the start of the game and the legs on the second week.
    Larm: P 25 | W 11 | C 450 - +25 soldier strength, two hand weapons used in left hand only suffer no accuracy penalty
    Rarm: P 25 | W 11 | C 450 - +25 soldier strength, two hand weapons used in right hand only suffer no accuracy penalty
    Legs: P 28 | W 13 | C 600 - +35 soldier speed, +20 soldier stamina

Wearing a power arm allows two-hand weapons to be used just fine without a free off-hand. It also improves how much a soldier can carry before being encumbered. Power legs improve soldier speed, and together they can greatly improve a soldier's mobility but at significant cost to their protection. Having one power arm free allows the soldier to strike an opponent in melee combat. This isn't nearly as effective as a firearm, but can knock an opponent to the ground or stun them in addition to dealing significant damage, and it costs no ammo. Wearing power legs allows the agent to perform a kick attack, which is more powerful and has a higher chance of knocking the opponent to the ground but lower chance of stunning and has a higher time unit cost. These kick attacks are particularly effective against brainsuckers and hyperworms, sending them flying and likely killing them outright.

Disruptor Armor
    Head: P 60 | W 1 | C 1500 - 33% disruptor resist, 50% gas resist, has +50% armor vs. brainsucker
    Body: P 60 | W 2 | C 1500 - 33% disruptor resist
    Larm: P 52 | W 1 | C 1200 - 33% disruptor resist
    Rarm: P 52 | W 1 | C 1200 - 33% disruptor resist
    Legs: P 52 | W 2 | C 1200 - 33% disruptor resist
    Total: P 276 | W 7 | C 6600

I am amending the old Disruptor Armor by reducing its protection value a bit. It was way too strong. It is still just as light and also offers a resistance to disruptor weapons, making it particularly effective in protecting from devastator cannons. The helmet incorporates the older anti-brainsucker technology along with a proper breathing filter, offering excellent protection from brainsuckers without compromising in other areas.

Enzyme Armor
    Available to research after researching The Alien Genetic Structure and Entropy Pod
    Head: P 57 | W 2 | C 1300 - 33% fire/alien spit resist, 50% enzyme resist, 50% gas resist, has +60% armor vs. brainsucker
    Body: P 57 | W 3 | C 1300 - 33% fire/alien spit resist, 50% enzyme resist
    Larm: P 50 | W 2 | C 1050 - 33% fire/alien spit resist, 50% enzyme resist
    Rarm: P 50 | W 2 | C 1050 - 33% fire/alien spit resist, 50% enzyme resist
    Legs: P 50 | W 3 | C 1050 - 33% fire/alien spit resist, 50% enzyme resist
    Total: P 264 | W 12 | C 5750

Enzyme armor is an alternate end-game armor which doesn't protect as well against physical or disruptor-based attacks but instead gives excellent protection from all of the spit and enzyme attacks, including the entropy missile. It is a good choice for venturing into areas with a lot of multiworms or multiworm eggs, as it protects soldiers from those as well as the spitters that guard or the hyperworms you may come across. Another use for the armor is if you wish to not carry a shield unit, then with any other armor suit you have to worry about getting it destroyed by an entropy missile. This can be bad if you are wearing disruptor armor, as it is expensive and time-intensive to replace.

makus likes this.
  2. Grimagor

Grimagor Registered

Best Answers:
    Personally I like to play with few armors and more in a game like Apoc, where you must manufacturate each part of the armor.

Another idea should be create some "extra" torso with some abilities (like MarSec's), but create a lot of new sets of armors... sorry bro but I don't like it :-\

3. bobucles

bobucles Registered

Best Answers:
    *YAWN*

Nice job coming up with armors, but there's one little/BIG problem. None of these suits add any new tactics to Apocalypse! Commanders can not choose who the aliens shoot at, and there is no advance intel to know what the player is facing inside a building. At the best, most armor choices merely add the chore of suiting up agents for every single mission, and the frustration of choosing wrong. That's all bad.

Intel is shared in Apoc, so hiding an agent from some alien types is pointless. The stealth role is completely obsoleted by both smoke grenades and by the alien cloaking device. Smoke also overwrites toxic gas, obsoleting gas resistance entirely.

Any asshole with a grenade or proximity mine can counter brainsuckers. Resisting them is pointless because the only way to lose an agent is through user error.

Light combat armor is suicide. Even in your own hierarchy it is completely obsoleted by power armor which gives both higher defense AND stat boosts! Seriously, +50 strength and 30 speed is atrociously overpowered.

Bonus stamina is obsoleted by Marsec armor as flying consumes no stamina. I'll admit that Marsec armor could use some love because only the chest piece seems to be good. Giving +5 speed on the legs and +5 strength per arm will go a long way to helping out Hybrids. All things combined there's maybe a 10TU boost in vanilla armor, but the bonuses will take it to 20 or more.

The Hazmat suit is so fragile that the resits have absolutely no value. Resisting enzyme 75% is dumb when megapol armor is 4 times stronger against everything.

Enzyme resistance is obsoleted by shields. Enzyme launchers are one subset of one type of alien threat. It is no challenge to focus fire two or three aliens before they breach shields.

Sorry man, but it just isn't good. New armor styles would be great, don't get me wrong. But confounding the issue with stats will only tease players with style choices that they will never want to use. Remove the stats, and keep the styles.

4. The Reaver of Darkness

Best Answers:
    I'm assuming you play on real time mode only. I've pretty much only got experience in turn based mode, but brainsuckers will jump around corners, run all the way across a large room and still have enough time units to jump on an agent's head. There is also a bug with stun gas causing them to know a path through it almost every time. And there are tons of other ways which they use to sneak up on you. And it seems no matter how high you train your soldier's reactions, they either waste all of their time units shooting at the brainsucker while it's too far away (when they have a lot of time to shoot it) or don't react at all (when they don't see it for long). I've tried every tactic I can think of to defend against brainsuckers, short of trapping my agents in a ring of boomeroids and waiting for the aliens to come to me--but they keep getting through. It seems almost impossible to never lose an agent to a brainsucker without resorting to save scumming, even on the easiest difficulty.

On turn-based mode, brainsuckers are without a doubt the majority of all threat you ever face in ground combat.

5. The Reaver of Darkness

Best Answers:
    from topic: Night missions in Apoc
    These are ideas for a mod I intend to create mostly by myself, though any help is appreciated. I know how I wish the pieces to interact, but don't know if it can be done easily. The basic idea is simple: you're only "invisible" with only night raid pieces. But one single safety armor piece makes you easy to see.

As for detection, we don't need complex light and sound systems. Aliens simply need a flag telling what they use to navigate terrain and detect soldiers. I'm not too fresh on the research data for the aliens but I have a hunch they might mostly be navigating through psionics, so night raid armor's primary function might be just raiding at night.

6. Solarius Scorch

Solarius Scorch Call to Power modder Global Moderator

Best Answers:
    Frankly, I don't think it would work just like that. Detection is a major part of any strategy game, and tackling this would require modifying mostly everything.
    I don't think it's possible, or at least sensible, at all at this stage.

Once we have a working code, we can experiment. For now... I just can't see it, sorry.

7. The Reaver of Darkness

Best Answers:
    It's just a flag as to whether or not the ignore the stealth effect of the armor. That's the easy part. The hard part is getting the stealth effect to work against those it would work against.

8. Grimagor

Grimagor Registered

Best Answers:
    As Solarius said (Damn he is very Polite ;D ), the true problem are all the changes needed.
    The stealth armor isn't a bad idea, but we have the cloaker devices :p
    Every idea is a good idea, not "per se" but all the situations that could emerge (I really love brainstormings) so I'm sorry if the idea wasn't have a good reception.

Edit: Reading this post a new idea came to me... What if we create a "special bonus" for full armor set? (I know, it's look like Diablo but it has his point becasue you create an armor to be used totally, not only some parts)

9. The Reaver of Darkness

Best Answers:
    I have a few set bonuses in there but I like people to feel flexible in mixing and matching if that's what they want to do. I feel like that's the point of being able to split up the suits into multiple units. Having complete sets is more for full coverage with the stats you want, or just to make the armor pieces match.

10. bobucles

bobucles Registered

Best Answers:
    Hahaha. Yeah, brainsuckers certainly FEEL that way the first time around. But they're really not that bad.

HE autocannon is probably your best shot at killing brainsuckers most of the time. Make sure the agent has good reactions and plenty of TUs at the end of turn. The Marsec minilauncher has seeking power so it will hit pretty much every time. Agents in Marsec flying armor have yet another advantage because the fire cone of HE will be directly pointed at the ground. Stun gas is more effective than you think, but it has to be aimed on the fallen body and probably needs another one up close to work.

Smoke will confound the AI and will prevent pointless reaction fire at extreme range. Can't waste TUs on what you can't see! This is a double edged sword against poppers so beware about that.

Just like, learn to play and you can shut down almost every brainsucker out there. ;) They don't need any nerfs because the game already gives you more than enough to deal with them.

11. The Reaver of Darkness

Best Answers:
    You say that like you think I have very little experience with the game. On the contrary; I have dealt with brainsuckers so much that I had tried multiple strategies to beat them, very gradually coming ever closer to the conclusion that they are bugged to all hell and back. To date I have come up with around a dozen strategies that should be foolproof but which in execution offer insignificant protection from brainsuckers, due to various bugs I have found and confirmed through multiple sightings in different games, different scenarios, and in different methods of attack.

autocannons can really help against brainsuckers and they are the only weapon I'll ever think of using other than the machinegun. But if I don't have any autocannoners performing reaction fire on a brainsucker, then there is almost no range at which the soldier will score a hit before the brainsucker jumps, other than a lucky shot. Otherwise they just shoot when it's too far away and stop shooting when it gets close. If I leave them with a lot of time units they just waste ammo and make the alien's turn excruciatingly long, which I tend to avoid because I end up having to save scum anyway.

I haven't tried smoke much but I didn't like how it lasts for multiple turns. In my first tries, I had brainsuckers and poppers sneaking up on my soldiers from areas I thought I had cleared.

The stun gas bug might only be present in the collector's edition. I was noticing it in my more recent games because I had a new strategy of dropping a stun grenade at my soldier's feet at the end of the turn. This seemed to deter brainsuckers about a third of the time, as the other two thirds they would run right through the gas unstunned. After much save scumming, I discovered that each time I drop a stun grenade, it has a chance of either allowing all brainsuckers through on a specific path or never allowing any through. Multiple times I saw more than one brainsucker walk around the edge of the cloud and select an entry point, wherein they proceeded through the stun gas on an indirect path to the soldier and went 5-10 spaces through stun gas, not getting stunned and finally jumping on the soldier's head.

I can't find any reliable way to deal with them in turn-based mode and I feel like I've tried everything. Even autocannons aren't a very good solution because while they usually are successful in shooting down the brainsucker (emphasis on usually) it comes at the cost of sometimes tremendous collateral damage to the building. What I did in my last game to try to break myself away from save scumming was to only reload if a brainsucker got in an attack that it shouldn't have been able to make, such as if it runs through stun gas and doesn't get stunned, gets hit with explosives and takes no damage (this happens too!), gets shot at by machinegun fire and the soldiers oddly stop firing as soon as the brainsucker gets within optimal range, gets ignored by multiple soldiers with plenty of time units and decent reactions (this happens too!), or sneaks up unseen from a path in which it should have been seen. I try to assess what should have happened and if I lost a soldier unfairly to a bug, I reload. I think 90-95% of my soldier losses are due to bugs, not counting when it happens 5-10 times in a row because no matter how I reload I can't get the soldier to not die.

12. bobucles

bobucles Registered

Best Answers:
    Well your first clue should be to stop reloading. I've lost agents to brainsuckers and I suspect it is nearly impossible to run a turn based game without losing a few. But you know what? That's okay. XCOM is all about calculating risks and losing guys despite every precaution. If you didn't lose guys you wouldn't be playing an XCOM game! :) That challenge is what drives you to get better and try new things.

Here is what I do against brainsuckers. Try any number of tips and see how it helps:
    - Keep several agents with HE autocannons on full auto. It kills brainsuckers, poppers, and hyperworms with unnatural ease. Do NOT trust projectile weapons to do the job! Only elite agents stand a chance of scoring a direct hit.
    - Flying armor. You can not miss by shooting downhill with the HE autocannon. Splash damage will quickly pop them.
    - Marsec launchers. Both the small and large launcher are seeking weapons, letting the worst agents score direct hits every time.
    - Motion scanners pick up fast moving units as bright dots. Moving the agent will light everything else up. One or two will work for your squad.
    - Drop lots of smoke. This will bring your own vision to short distance, encouraging short distance reaction fire. Smoke is just a good idea in general and was super OP in previous XCOMs.
    - Blow up alien bodies. Early game arthropods tend to have 2 or 3 pods on them. Destroy the pods.
    - Stun gas alien bodies. Pods that hatch have a good chance of being instantly knocked out.
    - Stun gas yourself. A doomed agent can knock themselves out in 2TUs thanks to the stun gas bug. Drop stun and attempt to move or shoot. KO'ed. Stunned agents can not be sucked.
    - Drop proximity mines. They work on the alien turn. Boomeroids will chase down brainsuckers so they can be super effective here.
    - Travel in groups. More agents mean more chances for return fire.

And most importantly of all:
    - Don't spend all your TU's! Reaction fire your most important asset against brainsuckers.

As far as I can tell, the stun gas bug only works when a new order is given inside the gas. The new order begins calculating from full TUs, causing any partially spent agent to suffer the full effect all at once. I like to think of it as happening when agents "take a deep breath".

13. The Reaver of Darkness

Best Answers:
    I know all that already, and I do all of those things. I get most or almost all of the brainsuckers, but there's just too many that get to my soldiers, and not through any mistakes of my own. I don't have any issue losing soldiers due to my own mistakes, and I also don't have much problem with losing them to not having much of a chance to save them--I lose a lot of soldiers in the first two games until I get armor because one step out of the ship or around a corner will often lead to a fatal shot and sometimes there's just not a way to counter that. But when brainsuckers are running right through stun gas and not getting stunned by it, when my soldiers choose not to fire at a brainsucker when it's within 5 squares even though they have time units, when the brainsucker travels in front of my squad yet is invisible--these things and more are common occurrences that get my squadmembers brainsucked. There's just no way to protect them from these bugs because they defy anything I can do in my defense.

Also, smoke doesn't seem to work. I haven't used it much but when I did use it, brainsuckers would run through and not become visible until they landed on the soldier's head. It was more of a hazard than anything else, not to mention it slowed down my soldiers.

I was talking about the bug in which a brainsucker can run through stun gas unaffected. But there do appear to be two other stun gas bugs which I remember being present in the original:
    1.) everything stuns in one movement, perhaps it's due to what you said.
    2.) if your agent is out of time units and blows a stun grenade at their feet, they will take almost no stun effect by the beginning of your next turn.

14. Solarius Scorch

Best Answers:
    Another good idea is to pick up brainsucker pods before they hatch. They can't hatch in your backpack.

15. The Reaver of Darkness

Best Answers:
    Yep, that one's a good trick to take em home, or if you don't have stun bombs.

I like tossing stun bombs on the corpse cause then I can mow down the stunned brainsuckers after they hatch. Lets me get some of my rage out. :p

16. Grimagor

Grimagor Registered

Best Answers:
    +1 ;D

17. Solarius Scorch

Best Answers:
    Pity you can't stomp them. :p

18. bobucles

bobucles Registered

Best Answers:
    Picking up pods is a nice turn based exploit. It's yet one more reason to keep spare TUs whenever facing early game aliens.

You can also toss a proximity mine on the corpse. Remember proxies? They still exist in Apoc and there's more reason to use them than ever before.

Sorry, but no. There are so many ways to deal with brainsuckers that while they are a major threat they are still very possible to manage. The only way to lose soldiers in Apoc is through commander negligence. Every death is preventable, and I'm not going to lie, I still lose a few agents to brainsuckers!

How many losses is too many? One? Two? Five? XCOM can absorb that. It's no big deal. There's at least 50 or so total agents that get rolled up in the campaign, and depending on your relations you might have more or less. Just suck it up Commander. XCOM isn't a game of immortal squads (though Apoc comes close). Anyone can die at any time. Apoc is excellent because the most frequent cause of death is from a mistake, not the RNG.

It's totally impossible to prevent every single injury in the game. Apoc is a game of cuts and bruises and the armor system is built exactly to work that way. Agent damage starts out slow, and escalates to lethal levels as the armor decay quickens. This gives the Commander time to respond to a crisis or pull an agent out of danger.

19. Jos

Jos Registered

Best Answers:
    Code:

I totally agree with this. I stopped playing the new X-COM mostly because it was waaaay too much about the RNG.

20. The Reaver of Darkness

Best Answers:
    When a brainsucker walks through 8 spaces of stun gas and jumps onto my soldier, that's not my mistake, that's a bug. Nothing can make it 8 squares through stun gas, especially not a brainsucker. But I have watched them do it too many times now.