1. Forum moved (you can use login and pass from old forum)
  2. Many discussions moved to the bugtracker

[mod idea] A few balance adjustments

Discussion in 'Game Mods' started by The Reaver of Darkness, Nov 23, 2014.

1. bobucles

bobucles Registered
    41/56

Best Answers:
    It's called stun gas, Grimagor. ;) Try it out. it's pretty damn good. I absolutely empty the market of stun grenades every week and it's never enough.

Stun gas works against most smaller aliens, it won't detonate poppers, and it keeps multiworms intact. It helps you get shields(*coughnerftoxi*) and it won't injure your own agents (but it will KO them). It's basically AG-lite in every single way that counts. Unlike an actual AG-lite, stun gas doesn't become totally obsolete because it still works on hostile humans!

2. Grimagor

Grimagor Registered
    0/28

Best Answers:
    Yeah, stun gas is OP :p
    I said it before, stun gas need a close look (even before the toxigun), there are some ideas:
    - Aliens can be more resilience VS stun gas (but you can develop a "special" alien stun gas)
    - Stun Gas doesn't work VS shields (like the stun grapple ;D )
    - Making it rare in stock

But honestly... I'll prefer creating stun rockets and a obliteration of Stun grenade ::)

3. bobucles

bobucles Registered
    0/28

Best Answers:
    Stun gas may be OP, but it's also bugged, at least in turn based play. The stun calculation seems to always work from max TUs. Taking an action at full TUs will do barely anything. Taking an action at empty TUs will knock you out cold. That's why guys seem to fall down instantly all the time, because that last dose of TUs gives the FULL stun effect. Fix that and stun gas should be okay.

Alien resistance is kind of meh. Many types already have too much HP to be KO'ed by gas alone. Limiting stock might be okay for higher difficulties, but once you use stun gas you'll realize there is never enough. Personally I use like 60 stun grenades a week so the average 40 stock feels tight at times.

Stun gas is not that powerful in real time mode because aliens can and will drop smoke to negate it. Look, stop saying to nerf things just because I say they're good! There's a lot of good items to use in Apoc. You can't go about breaking them all. :)

4. Grimagor

Grimagor Registered
    0/28

Best Answers:
    Why they don't use the smoke grenades in Turn Base?

5. bobucles

bobucles Registered
    0/28

Best Answers:
    Lol I dunno. The alien turn seems to work by running the aliens in real time until they run out of TUs. It works pretty badly. Apoc AI was dumb.

6. Grimagor

Grimagor Registered
    0/28

Best Answers:
    Dumber than ever :-\

7. borsek

borsek Registered
    0/28

Best Answers:
    Apoc was only meant to be played in realtime, tb mode was added towards the end of the development, mostly as an 'extra option' for the diehard fans of the previous games. It was simply not meant to be played in TB by design.

Playing the game in realtime means many bullet-showers, which means more damage to the city, which, in turn, means added difficulty. Brainsuckers are less effective and are more of a distraction than a real threat (as things should be, imho, it's not like you can't shoot it while it's on your head anyway), and many mechanics, such as poppers, anthro swarms and similar become more dangerous - a popper by itself is not a big deal, but being shot at by a swarm of anthros and a popper running at your troops is a deadly mechanic.

Anyone else wondering where the HELL anthropods get their crazy amounts of smoke grenades from?

8. Solarius Scorch

Solarius Scorch Call to Power modder Global Moderator
    41/56

Best Answers:
    I'd also add that alien shooting weapons (disruptors etc.) are much more dangerous in real time. I first played the game in turn-based mode and for a long time thought they're mainly there for the player to capture and re-engineer them - they were so useless. In real time, however...

I suspect Transtellar.