1. Forum moved (you can use login and pass from old forum)
  2. Many discussions moved to the bugtracker

MapView

Discussion in 'Tools' started by luke83, Jul 20, 2014.

1. luke83

luke83 Xcom Modder Global Moderator

Best Answers:
    Have there been any tools created over the years that will allow me to create new mapblocks for Apoc?

I understand there is so are differences between the old xcom format and the new, is the old mapview file, is it likely the old Mapview will be updated to handle Apoc or is a new (separate) tool required.

2. JonnyH

JonnyH Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator

Best Answers:
    I believe there is TacEdit and XME that I know of. I haven't used either, so can't comment on how to use them.

A quick google appears to suggest you can download both from here: http://xorf.tripod.com/download.htm

I don't have windows available to test on at the second, so please let me know if you get anything working. It would be useful to be able to create trivial maps (empty, single known tile etc.) as part of the reverse-engineering effort....

Thanks,
    Jonny

3. luke83

Best Answers:
    Downloaded files but cant remember my steam account ( its been a good 5 years) and have not been able to locate my Apoc CD yet but as soon as i do, i will see what works and what doesn't.

4. pmprog

pmprog Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator

Best Answers:
    One thing to bare in mind, that we will also consider a new file format for maps too. Though that's down the line :)

5. Solarius Scorch

Solarius Scorch Call to Power modder Global Moderator

Best Answers:
    Are you considering random maps for the game, I mean one composed of randomly selected mapblocks? The original didn't have this feature, and I feel that it was one of its most significant drawbacks.

Perhaps it's too early and too much to ask, but I figured it's better to do it now than later, when a lot of code is planned and written.

6. pmprog

pmprog Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator

Best Answers:
    To start with, no. Like OXC, We need to keep the goal pretty much to mimic the original. It can certainly be expanded later to have randomised maps.

7. Solarius Scorch

Solarius Scorch Call to Power modder Global Moderator

Best Answers:
    All right, sounds good.

All I was really suggesting was to keep such a possibility in mind, to avoid burning bridges.

8. luke83

Best Answers:
    Assuming the tools exist and work, i would like to just start expanding map sets without adding any new features or mixed maps, just to give the project another feather in its cap.

9. jedpossum

jedpossum Registered

Best Answers:
    I got XME to work mostly. Just some tactical map palettes are wrong mainly 35tubes.