1. Forum moved (you can use login and pass from old forum)
  2. Many discussions moved to the bugtracker

Lua support?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rexides, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Rexides

Rexides Registered

Best Answers:
    Hi, awesome project, my 15-year-old past self is giddy with anticipation!

I wanted to ask, have you guys thought about embedding Lua (or any other scripting language) to handle gameplay concepts? I think that uncoupling gameplay logic from the idiosyncrasies of C++ will allow more people to contribute to the project, both for the original gameplay replication and for cooler mods down the road. It will surely add some performance and conceptual overhead, but the gains will surely be worth it, as the pool of potential contributors can expand and you will be able to debug gameplay modules without having to recompile, or even restart the game.

I am literally ready to start embedding right now if you'd like the idea, I wanted to run it through the core contributors first in order to not step on anyone's toes.

2. The Reaver of Darkness

The Reaver of Darkness Registered

Best Answers:
    I'm pretty sure that's one of the core purposes of the project. The original Open X-Com is easily moddable by editing intuitive text files, requiring no knowledge of C++ programming.

3. Rexides

Rexides Registered

Best Answers:
    Well, keeping variables and info on text files is a simple and effective way of providing modding support, and what I propose would not change that, but that kind of modding is limited to changing variables, or adding new elements that behave similarly to already existing ones. You can change a grenade's range and power to make a more powerful grenade, but you couldn't make a grenade that shoots out smaller grenades. Not to mention things like espionage and more complicated faction relations that people want from this project

Providing scripting support could allow modders to do more cool stuff with the game, which would normally require edits to the C++ code. A lot of closed-source games get a lot of shelve life because of good mod support, and it would be a shame to have an open source project that only a handful people can modify in depth because of linguistic issues.