1. Forum moved (you can use login and pass from old forum)
  2. Many discussions moved to the bugtracker

How lighting works in the XCOM games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pmprog, Feb 14, 2017.

1. pmprog

pmprog Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator

Best Answers:
    Well, the title is a bit misleading. This video isn't specifically about any of the XCOM games, it's also not specifically about "lighting". But if you've ever wondered how the city in Apoc translates from day to night and back (or even the globe in UFO:EU and TFTD), this gives you a pretty good detail of palette techniques used back in the days of DOS games and 8bit computers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMcJ1Jvtef0

makus likes this.
  2. JonnyH

JonnyH Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator

Best Answers:
    Interesting, I'll probably watch it this evening.

The older xcoms (UFO & TFTD) both used a weird index 'shift' to implement lighting too, but apoc doesn't happen to use that. Only interpolating the palette between day/twilight/night palettes in the city. In the battlescape itself I believe the palette is always static and no weird tricks played.

Which feels a bit of a shame, as the battles always appear to be during the day, no matter the clock.

3. pmprog

pmprog Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator

Best Answers:
    There's a section in the video where he talks about a graphic he produced for an X-MEN game based on the character Storm (Starts at around 12 minutes). From the one image he loads several palettes (but retaining the image), and the differences are great. Yeah, I guess they're not "exactly" like Apoc, but using one image with multiple palettes to produce effects is practically the same

makus likes this.
  4. makus

makus Designer, forum admin Administrator Designer/Artist

Best Answers: