1. Forum moved (you can use login and pass from old forum)
  2. Many discussions moved to the bugtracker

Hello, my name is Jay!

Discussion in 'Welcome! Introduce Yourself' started by jgatkinsn, Mar 10, 2018.

1. jgatkinsn

jgatkinsn Member Programmer

Nov 22, 2015
    I missed the XCOM boat when I was a teenager when it first came out. I was too busy playing more flight/space sims, civilization, RTS games and various sundry of other games. I got away from video games for a while, I can't remember what got me to try XCOM a few years ago. I think I was looking for some "free" opensource games because I'm kind of cheap when it comes to buying video games (because I save the money for cool and awesome hobby boardgames like Galaxy Defenders, Terraforming Mars, Conflict of Heroes, Thunderbolt Apache Leader, Pandemic: Legacy Season 1... etc.). I came across OpenXCOM and bought XCOM: Enemy Unknown on sale on Steam. Whoa! I was blown away, and I almost kick myself for not picking it up when it first came out. Then the mods blew me away. I was watching Youtube playthroughs. I saw Nooks playthrough of XCOM: Apocalypse and was intrigued. I think I got it as a giveaway from a user on strategyuk forums. I really enjoyed it. It's not my favorite, but I like it. I still haven't played Terror from the Deep yet.

I'm currently employed as something of a DevOps/Test Architect. My degree is in electrical engineering, and over the past 30 years, I've done a lot of embedded programming in C, 8051 assembly, C++ 98, python (Love it!), even VHDL for FPGA's, and a smattering of Haskell and Scala. About two years ago, I started working in C++11 some, and I think I fell in love with C++ again because they finally started to incorporate more modern programming language concepts that it desperately needed like smart pointers that work! I don't use C++11 where I'm working at right now, but I want to keep up with my skill set (use it or lose it), so that's partly why I'm interested in working on OpenApoc. I've been impressed with the overall design of it so far, and it looks fairly clean and well thought out (at least I can follow it better than some other projects). My time is very limited with wife and 3 kids and of course job, plus I'm more of a "boardgamer", so I'll try and help out in little ways where I can, but don't expect me to take on huge design areas of the game :)

My tools of the trade are VIM, TMUX, and of course Linux. I haven't done much MS Visual Studio work because when I was on Windows at a previous job, we were using custom toolchains and custom RTOS for embedded systems and I was using GVIM back then, so no Windows program development. I took the full Linux plunge about 6 years ago, and I haven't looked back.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    makus and FilmBoy84 like this.
  2. FilmBoy84

FilmBoy84 Administrator Administrator Tester Researcher

Oct 9, 2017
    Good to see you here on the forums jgatkinsn

Any help you can provide will always be greatly appreciated.

• If bug-whacking is your thing, there are always the issues on the bugtracker ( https://github.com/OpenApoc/OpenApoc/issues )
    • If you want to add features, by all means post these to git for review (ensure they are activated via an (M) option under More Options to make them stand out as an optional mod)
    • If AI is your thing, significant work needs doing in this area and there is a thread running on the forums to cover all behaviours recorded both in the Beta version of Apoc (More features of the AI) and Vanilla ( http://openapoc.org/threads/task-unit-behavior.185/ )
    • OpenApoc does work for Linux, but if you want to make a dedicated port, that would be great too
  3. makus

makus Designer, forum admin Administrator Designer/Artist

Sep 24, 2014
    Welcome Jay =] - very detailed story thats +