1. Forum moved (you can use login and pass from old forum)

NEED HELP! GOG Version of X-COM:Apocalypse

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Daylot_Usta, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Daylot_Usta

Daylot_Usta Registered
    31/56

Best Answers:
    I have GOG version of X-COM: Apocalypse(XA) and my question is; can I run OpenApoc with GOG version of XA3 and, if possible, please teach me how to do that. In return, I will try to test your Project.

Notes:
    I have enough experience and knowledge about XA, so I -probably- can compare differences between XA and OpenApoc.

If it is not possible to run Openapoc with GOG version of XA... then please make it possible. My retail CD is too old and my DVD Rom refuse to read it.

Thank you

makus likes this.
  2. Blackwolf Kuzoku

Blackwolf Kuzoku Member Tester Researcher
    26/28

Best Answers:
    Hi Daylot_Usta,

Please keep in mind that this project is still in development. The currently status can maybe called "Pre-Alpha".
    All you have to do is to follow the steps from the github repository. ( https://github.com/pmprog/OpenApoc )

The GOG.com - Version brings the CD as "XCOM.BIN".
    For experimental purposes i named XCOM.BIN into cd.iso.
    With the renamed / changed fake-iso File the script seems to work, but fails at 96% , maybe because of checksum-errors.
    So simply rename the BIN - File to a ISO - File does not work.

After that try i've managed to mount the BIN-File and write a new ISO-File from it.
    The GOG-Version is exactly the same Version as the Steam-Version , but only in a other fileformat. So you have to create / convert the Bin-File into ISO.

With the new created ISO - File the script has worked fine - installation complete and OpenApoc is ready for testing.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    makus likes this.
  3. Daylot_Usta

Daylot_Usta Registered
    3/28

Best Answers:
    Thanks for answer and warning, my offer still valid. I will try to create an iso file.

(reserved just in case)

4. JonnyH

JonnyH Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator
    54/56

Best Answers:
    We do also support the .bin/.cue files shipped by GOG already, the command line argument "--Framework.CD=/path/to/file.cue" will work, but it's just not integrated into the windows build as the data generation assumes the file is "data/cd.iso".

On linux you can set the CMake "CD_PATH" variable to the .cue file, and make sure the .bin is in the same directory.

On windows, you have the change the "data" project, open it's properties, select "custom build step" at the side and you can edit the command line there. Replacing the '--Framework.CD="$(SolutionDir)\data\cd.iso"' with the .cue file should then work. You also have to add the "--Framework.CD" argument to every time you want to run openapoc, as it's not currently saved in the config or anything, so either running from the command line or editing the properties of the OpenApoc project (Debugging->"command arguments") if running through visual studio would be needed.

If you "just" rename the .bin file to .iso it'll use the wrong loader, which may "appear" to work at first, but they're not compatible (.bin/.cue keeps some extra error checking metadata at the end of every block that .iso does not, so the "beginning of the first block" looks the same, so may think it'll work, but reading any files will then fail)

makus likes this.
  5. Daylot_Usta

Daylot_Usta Registered
    3/28

Best Answers:
    Sorry, I'm in shame because still can't use Git... for now. I need more time to understand how to use it.

It is a sing of aging imho, now I understand why my gradfather was never understand how to use his cellphone.

makus likes this.
  6. Kammerer

Kammerer Administrator Administrator Translator/Writer
    31/56

Best Answers:
    If you are unfamiliar with Git system and can't set-up the compiler you can download automatic builds. The builds for Windows are here: https://ci.appveyor.com/project/JonnyH/openapoc.

makus likes this.