1. Forum moved (you can use login and pass from old forum)

German Translation

Discussion in 'Translations' started by Blackwolf Kuzoku, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Blackwolf Kuzoku

Blackwolf Kuzoku Member Researcher
    41/56

Best Answers:
    Hi Guys,

Yesterday i just searched for fun "X-COM Apocalypse Remake" in Google and found your project. I'm very glad to see so much people doing this amazing job, so i want to help a little bit and contribute to this project.

My english is not very good, but its not very bad, too. So i want to made you an german translation.
    I was six years old as i was watching my dad playing "UFO - Enemy unknown" and "UFO - Terror from the Deep". Six years was still young for me, but i was able to understand the game and overbeat my dad. It was a lot of fun as he found my savegame.

But back to topic:
    I have an original copy of X-COM Apocalypse here and want to make the german translation for the Strings.
    So i request the permission to help you out with german translations. ;)

Greets
    ~ Blackwolf (or Blacky, or Kuzoku )

2. kkmic

kkmic Undefined
    0/28

Best Answers:
    Welcome to OpenApoc!

I hope pmprog won't mind me welcoming you :)

Contributions of any kind are more than welcome, especially this early in the project.

To add a new language to the game, it's pretty "easy":
    [list type=decimal]
    [*]Edit the file data/LANGUAGES/LANGUAGES.XML and add the German language entry there
    [*]Edit the file data/LANGUAGES/STRINGS.XML and add your translated strings
    [/list]

If that is not clear enough, pmprog had put together a more detailed guide here.

That being said, you can get the latest copy of those files from the official repository on GitHub.com. Being hosted on GitHub, the most efficient way of getting your contributions in is to make a pull request with them on GitHub.

Notes:
    [list type=decimal]
    [*]If you have issues with Git or GitHub (AKA you never heard of them :) ), my advice is to post your translation here on this very thread. Sooner or later, someone will merge them in. Probably sooner :)
    [*]It is advisable to use something else than Notepad to edit those files, like Notepad++ or Notepad2. A lot of people use Notepad++, but I prefer Notepad2.
    [/list]

3. Blackwolf Kuzoku

26/28

Best Answers:
    Hi kkmic!

Thank you for the welcome. :)

I was wondering why X-Com Apocalypse has the german word "Apokalypse" in his name. Just in this second i found out that the german Title of the game was also "X-Com Apocalypse". Seems i thought the title was translated to german too, but it wasn't so.

Thank you for the advice. Currently i'm reinstalling the Game on Dosbox, for doublecheck that all of the translation is correct.
    It will takes a little time to translate, because i'm very busy in reallife, but i'm on it. :)

This is my first time working with Github, but i will give it a try. If i need further help i'll contact you.

EDIT:
    I think the original german translation from MicroProse could be differnt as the translation as we/you would do.
    Example in English: Start Campaign
    Translated in German: Starte Kampagne

Original Translation: Einsatzspiel starten
    Translated in English: Start Mission (Start Missiongame - translated word-by-word)

Should i translate 1:1 from german translated game, or as good as possible from mind?

4. Infini

Infini Alien French Translator
    0/28

Best Answers:
    Use the original translation in German if you have it.
    Open a GitHub account.
    Add your language in "LANGUAGES.XML", something like "<language id="de_de">Deutsche</language>
    Do a MERGE PULL REQUEST
    Use your mind to translate the unofficial stuff.
    The file you have to translate is included, in UTF-8. A simple text file.
    Use Notepad++
    If you have the original german game, find a file like PEDIAFR.MT or PEDIAFR.PT (I don't remember exactly ; FR means French, so the name of yours may be different.
    Open it with Notepad++, Language, M, MS-DOS Style (dont't forget if you reopen later)
    Everything is there, ready to be copied and pasted.
    Do the translation OFFLINE. When you have a lot done, propose it in GitHub (simply add what you done, eg <de_de>OPEN APOKALYPSE</de_de>, etc
    Do a MERGE PULL REQUEST

WARNING. These characters, if you find some, need to be converted: Just five: &lt; (<), &amp; (&), &gt; (>), &quot; ("), and &apos; (').
    Look at the french translation I did to find some examples.

If you have any questions, just ask, Ill be around if not dead. :)
    Remember, my native language is French, so I'm doing my best to reply in English without using an electronic translator.

If you install the game with DOSBox, I'm able to help too if you have some problems.

5. Blackwolf Kuzoku

26/28

Best Answers:
    Hi 5thAvenue.

Thank you for your support. ^^
    I have the original german game and played a little bit yesterday. Thanks for the hint with the "Pedia"-Files. i will check this after work.

Until now i got no problems, but i'll come back to you if i need help. :D

6. DoctorMuerte

DoctorMuerte Registered
    0/28

Best Answers:
    Welcome to the forum Blackwolf!

7. JonnyH

JonnyH Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator
    41/56

Best Answers:
    Hello and welcome! All help is gratefully received, but bear in mind this is still very early - don't expect big results for a while yet...

We use github for development - https://github.com/pmprog/OpenApoc is the main repository. The current translation files live under data/LANGUAGES (as mentioned by above) - there's already work going on for a few different languages there, so it should hopefully be clear how to add new ones. When you feel like you have something worth keeping, send off a pull request. We expect to add new strings as progress continues, so it's kinda impossible to get a 'final' translation quite yet, so don't let missing strings stop you pushing your changes.

JonnyH
    (apparently) official dev

8. Blackwolf Kuzoku

26/28

Best Answers:
    Hi JonnyH,

Thank you. :)
    I know that the project is still in the early beginning, but i'm looking forward to it.
    All good things take a while, so the project needs his time, too.

I'm now on translating or "copy and paste" the Strings, but it takes a little bit nerves and time because of some spaceholders, that destroys the formation of the file. So i have to cleanup after each string; But I'm on it.

9. Blackwolf Kuzoku

26/28

Best Answers:
    Now im finaly finished my work on the german strings.
    i did an pull request ( https://github.com/pmprog/OpenApoc/pull/42 ).
    my mistake: i've overlooked that the strings.xml has been updated yesterday with some test-strings.

Hope it was not wrong what i did. Github is a little bit complicated for me as bloody beginner. ::)

10. JonnyH

JonnyH Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator
    41/56

Best Answers:
    No, it all looks perfect to me. Thanks again!

11. pmprog

pmprog Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator
    41/56

Best Answers:
    Seconded. Thanks for your help :D

12. Blackwolf Kuzoku

26/28

Best Answers:
    I saw the file has been modified a few times the last days/weeks/months.
    Is there something missing / left to translate into german?
    ( I'm also ready for testing openapoc, joined usergroup today )