1. Forum moved (you can use login and pass from old forum)
  2. Many discussions moved to the bugtracker

Game Details

Discussion in 'Coding' started by pmprog, Aug 12, 2014.

1. pmprog

pmprog Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator
    0/28

Best Answers:
    I'm trying to think what needs to be available for saving a game. Can anyone think of anything I've missed?

Code:
      Game
        |- Money
        |- Bases
        |    |- Facilities
        |    |- Scientists
        |    |- Alien Containment
        |- World
        |    |- Date/Time
        |    |- City
        |    |    |- NPCs
        |    |- Organisations
        |    |    |- Alligence
        |    |    |- Allied Bonus (Stronger humans, more androids, cheaper weapons etc.)
        |- Aliens
        |    |- Tech Level (adjusted based on time/XCOM research?)
        |    |- Dimension
        |    |- UFOs
        |- Vehicles
        |    |- Location
        |    |- "Home" Base
        |    |- Equipment
        |- Soldiers
        |    |- Location
        |    |- Stats
        |    |- Equipment
        |- Inventory
        |    |- Producing Organisations
        |    |- Market Saturation/Levels
        |- Research
        |    |- At Base/Facility
        |    |- Progress
        |    |- Scientists Allocated
        |- Manufacture
        |    |- At Base/Facility
        |    |- Progress
        |    |- Scientists Allocated
        |
        |- Battlescape
            |- Mode (Turnbased/Realtime)
            |- Map
            |- Squads
            |    |- Soldier
            |- Hostiles
            |- Civilians

2. kkmic

kkmic Undefined
    44/56

Best Answers:
    The alien tech level is determined by the accumulated total X-Com score (and you will have to track the total score), so it's better to calculate it on the fly from the score, rather than saving it explicitly.

I believe that the "allied organizations bonus" could also be calculated on game load (depending on the allied organizations), though I'm not 100% sure about it being a good idea.

Otherwise, seems OK to me. You got everything covered, kitchen sink included. All that remains is the simple matter of coding them :)

3. jedpossum

jedpossum Registered
    0/28

Best Answers:
    Isn't the cityscape itself destructible? if so you'll probably need it as well.

4. xracer

xracer Registered
    29/56

Best Answers:
    I was about to say the same thing, so you need to keep
    Building
    |-Owner
    |-Status (normal, damaged, destroyed, rebuilding)

Also i do not remember but i think that organizations could buy other building or not? if that is the case also the price.

I need to play this game again

5. JonnyH

JonnyH Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator
    64/112

Best Answers:
    For the cityscape (and management stuff), I believe you need:

- Base(s)
    -- Facilities (including those being built)
    -- Research/engineering progress
    -- Scientsts/engineers
    -- Scientists/engineers for sale
    -- Agents & equipment
    -- Agents for sale
    -- Vehicles and equipment
    -- Total stores
    -- Alien containment (live & dead)
    -- Completed research
    -- Research items available (not always based on items in stores - e.g. after recovering a crashed ufo, or visiting the alien dimension)
    - Time of day
    - Destruction information (Per tile)
    - Vehicles in motion (including those 'on the way' to the alien dimension)
    -- Position
    -- owner
    -- contents
    -- destination
    -- Mission (can you save while on route to an alert, load, then automatically get the investigation window?) - also alien missions (what they are beaming to/shooting at/whatever) and if someone's on their way to raid someone else (even xcom's base)
    -- Do missiles/bullets/whatever persist over saves?
    - People in motion (Remember you can walk along the people-tubes
    -- Includes scientists etc? Or do they just take vehicles? I'm sure I've seen newly hired engineers 'stuck' behind city desctruction)
    - Buildings (appear to be 2d-rectangled of the city)
    -- Alien infiltration - there appears to be a 'number of aliens per-building', which spreads (to adjacent buildings? By aircraft? Appears to spread to other buildings of the same owner as organisation infiltration increases)
    -- Any vehicles within the building
    -- Any xcom troops within the building (Remember, you get our of your vehicle, or just walk)
    - Organisations:
    -- Infiltration, as this appears to somehow lag behind 'number of aliens in building' (hence if aliens beam a whole mothership full into an organisation's buildings, it doesn't instantly become alien controlled)
    -- All organisations have relations to all other organisations
    -- They all have a cash reserve (I'm including xcom in this - I do not believe the aliens have 'resources' though, only a fixed-size ufo allotment per-week based on score(?))
    --- Not sure how the income is generated, but it's listed in the organisation ufopaedia (along with their current cash)
    --- Re-building damaged buildings costs money (not sure who pays for unowned stuff (roads, walls etc.) if anyone). I've seen some organisations go right into the negative by knocking down their buildings a few times :)
    --- The xcom budget comes out of the government cash reserves, so if you do well you can quite easily bankrupt them, so they don't pay out the full promised budget every week
    - The current market state
    -- Including price (changes based on how many xcom buy/sold?)
    -- Total number in stock (Each item appears to have a min/max stored in the apoc data files, presumably it's random within that?)
    -- Availability (based on weeks played)
    - I don't know how organisation 'tech levels' work (IE if you raid someone late-game they have disruptor shields etc.), maybe just based on the score like the alien one? I personally would love it if you could be careful and limit alien tech diffusion by not selling anything/killing all aliens yourself/taking out all their crashed ships.

I assume we will need at least the vehicle save for the alien dimension (Is this stored when you're not actually in the dimension? Or do we only need to store the total alien craft there? - I remember the aliens never got any new craft until the beginning of each week, when they got an allotment, probably based on tech level (and therefore xcom score))

6. pmprog

pmprog Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator
    54/56

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I was thinking you could have a "Dimension" property which is "Terra", "Alien" or "Crossing", then you're location would be an X,Y,Z within that cityscape

They will need to, yes.

Regardless of if they walk or take vehicles - they'll need to be saved (I grouped all of these under City-NPCs)

Yeah, this is going to be interesting :)

I don't see why we couldn't do something like that. We could do something like this:
    • Org obtains tech of the current alien level based on infiltration. The higher infiltration, the more the aliens provide
    • At the end of each week, each Org can buy/sell on the market, and they maintain inventory like XCOM

I think it's worth saving maintaining it's state if it's not too much of a resource drain. You could obviously skip most of the cityscape rules (shooting, flying position/target) when the player isn't in the alien dimension.

There's certainly a lot to cover.

Edit: My original list wasn't "detailed" more of the areas to cover. Regarding city destruction, that would come under my City bit. Probably something like
    Code:
    City
    |-Map
    |  |-Destruction
    |-NPCs
       |-Location
       |-Target

7. Solarius Scorch

Solarius Scorch Call to Power modder Global Moderator
    41/56

Best Answers:
    Does this list include organizations' standing with each other? I'm not sure from the list itself.

Also, I know that our goal is to recreate Apocalypse as it was etc. etc., but I think we have an agreement that ultimately we'll try to add stuff that never made it to the original game... And it includes taking prisoners, tracking VIPs etc. This stuff will also have to be saved, so I thought I'd mention it even though it won't be needed before 1.0.

8. xracer

xracer Registered
    29/56

Best Answers:
    From something that was said, i believe that all things that were removed from the initial game or where not fully implemented.will be part of the game. maybe even before v 1.0 but that is still a long way from now.

9. Solarius Scorch

41/56

Best Answers:
    Today is a good day! :D

10. Mysyk

Mysyk Registered
    37/56

Best Answers:
    Confirm. Other organisations have same tech level progression as aliens. I attacked MegaPol when aliens had distruptor shields. MegaPol had them too.

11. Mustang

Mustang Megapol Agent Tester Researcher
    31/56

Best Answers:
    I saw the topic of organizations' tech levels come up, and here's a summary of a bit about it that I had read online:

Organizations all start at varying tech levels (I believe 1-4) depending on the corporation, so the advancement of tech is staggered between all of them. In practice, it is what makes sure an organization like Technocrats can't stand up to Marsec militarily. Their tech increases aren't based on any score, but their levels are incremented by one for each week that goes by, up to a certain maximum (which means eventually everybody will have max tech) and I believe being infiltrated by the aliens results in a one-time large increase in tech level.

All of the equipment in the game is given a value of what "tech level" it belongs to, so organizations with a tech level of 4 will be able to choose from a pool of equipment of a tech level that is less than or equal to 4. And since organizations stop carrying around Lawpistols at some point I imagine every piece of equipment also has a variable for at which tech level it stops appearing.

Presumably, if you can modify the right bit of data in there I'm sure you could make alien guns appear in an organization's hands before even the aliens have them by setting their tech level higher. (After googling, UFOpedia has an article on this. Could've saved myself the time I guess :p)

Perhaps that's how it was supposed to work in theory, but of course, as Mysyk observed
    I'll see if I can test tech level progression on my own tonight. I've been playing an Aliens250 game so my score is much higher than normal. Aliens just got devastators and shields in week 2, so I'll go and raid Megapol myself and report back

Update:
    I won't double post since that goes against basic forum etiquette, but I ran the tests.
    First off, I was mistaken at what tech level the aliens were actually at. They had devastators, boomeroids, and disruptors, but not shields.

Secondly, I raided three organizations for the test: Megapol, MarSec, and Nutrivend (Nutrivend is already hostile). Megapol's troops fielded plasma pistols, heavy launchers, autocannons, and machineguns, but no alien tech.
    During the MarSec raid the only difference in equipment fielded was that they had MarSec minilaunchers instead of Megapol plasma pistols. This could've just been because those two companies produce those guns, because of varying tech levels, or just chance. Nutrivend had no launchers of any kind and no plasma pistols, but still access to the commonpool human weapons.

Most importantly, none of them had any alien technology at all. Even disruptors were missing, which would be two steps behind the alien tech level that my game is currently at. This leads me to the conclusion that organization tech levels are not based on alien score, but have a separate progression curve.

If anyone else would like to take a look, here's the link to my save:
    http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=06031630922267692698

You can also run the experiment yourself by using the apoc'd editor to increase the total aliens in the game to 250% of normal and playing for a while. Scores will be way higher than in the normal game and aliens will tech quickly.

edited to fix typos

12. Solarius Scorch

41/56

Best Answers:
    For clarification, was Nutrivend in your game taken over by aliens, or just hostile towards X-Com?

13. bobucles

bobucles Registered
    0/28

Best Answers:
    Score is very easily tested by modifying the value in a save file. I tried it once before, and the effect on alien tech is pretty much immediate. Never tried it against corporations though.

14. Mysyk

Mysyk Registered
    37/56

Best Answers:
    I am sure that other corporations get new weapon as aliens.

15. Mustang

Mustang Megapol Agent Tester Researcher
    31/56

Best Answers:
    Nutrivend turned hostile after a stray explosion during and investigation caused a massived collapse in their farm. I never paid it off because it's expensive and I didnt lose anything anyway. No organizations have been infiltrated in that save

16. Mysyk

Mysyk Registered
    37/56

Best Answers:
    Then everything fine in your game. :D Nobody would be confident if someone make collateral damage to your property.

17. bobucles

bobucles Registered
    0/28

Best Answers:
    That may not be true. The ufopaedia has some good information on Apocalypse, including how alien and corporate tech functions in game.

Alien tech is absolutely 100% based on score. You can show up to the exact same mission with no points vs. all the points, and see a completely different alien loadout. Alien gear is very likely decided when the mission starts. The game tracks aliens that escape battle and remain in the city, but I do not know if it remembers their state or rerolls them with the new mission (I assume the latter). The ufopaedia suggests a different story for corporate tech: