1. Forum moved (you can use login and pass from old forum)
  2. Many discussions moved to the bugtracker

Fixing Fire

Discussion in 'Game Mods' started by bobucles, Dec 23, 2014.

1. The Reaver of Darkness

The Reaver of Darkness Registered

Best Answers:
    No, the power suit in the original game has incendiary damage set to 0.0. It is immune to fire and would continue to be so if fire were fixed. This is clearly intentional. The Megapol Armor suit is almost certainly made from either alien alloys or aqua plastics, or some combination of the two - technologies made available after the first and second alien wars. These materials are highly heat resistant. It makes sense that armor made from them would offer considerable fire resistance.

I'm not opposed to having regular environmental fire damage Megapol armor and eventually eat through it, but the damage should be very minor.

2. bobucles

bobucles Registered

Best Answers:
    What is or isn't intentional or is not important here. The important question is how does fire immunity change the game?

The answer for UFO is "it doesn't". Does it have anything to do with the resistance itself? No! The reason fire immunity doesn't change anything is because fire doesn't work in UFO. But don't take my word for it, it clearly doesn't mean anything here. Instead, how about you tell us where UFO fire is even remotely viable? Please. Take your time. Tell me just one situation where an incendiary equipped squad can accomplish a feat that no other equipment can. Don't give up! There is one, but not as a weapon.

Apoc fire does not only fail against megapol armor equipped humans. Everything else in the game with modest armor is totally immune to burning damage as well. Rentacops are immune, and skeletoids have good natural armor. The fire proc can neither penetrate the defenses nor degrade natural armor to a point where it can. Even poppers are difficult to light up with fire, and they are literally an unstable walking bomb. If that can not convince you that something is direly wrong with fire mechanics in Apocalypse, then nothing will.

Most of these issues can be fixed by one thing, a new mechanic that Apoc has over older XCOMs. That's armor decay. All fire needs to do is cause armor decay, just like every other source of damage in the game. Maybe that will be enough to fix it, maybe it needs a little more.

3. Grimagor

Grimagor Registered

Best Answers:
    The veredict... Fire Sucks and must be fixed ;D

4. Jos

Jos Registered

Best Answers:
    Yup. We all agree on something! ;D

I'm going to try to use Apoc'd tonight to see if I can mod megapol armor's susceptability to fire.
    I suspect i've tried it before and failed, but it's been a while and maybe j'ordos found the appropriate offset.

BTW, is there anyone on these boards that is good with hex editing?

5. Jos

Jos Registered

Best Answers:
    Apoc'd does have the ability to edit armours resistance to fire (incendiary). I gave Megapol armour a 2500% vulnerability to fire, and it degraded fast, loosing about 3-5 points of armor with every shot.

Unfortunately, the main effect is making xcom less likeley to use incendiary as only xcom soldiers can use incendiary (AFAIK) or wear Megapol armour (you can't edit enemy critters 'innate' armour)

6. bobucles

bobucles Registered

Best Answers:
    I've modded incendiary damage to be 3000% vs. megapol armor. Oh god! Fire kills EVERYTHING. Regular burning deals major damage and chips armor and has a major impact on morale.

Without damage modifiers a low burn does 1 damage every second'ish. Unfortunately this damage is so awful that with vanilla damage modifiers it rounds down to zero armor damage every time. The damage of environmental fire seems to be hard coded and Apoc'd doesn't have any way to change it.

The special armor shredding property of the enzyme launcher appears to be hard coded as well. It deals "enzyme" damage just like the green spit of many alien types, but only the launcher causes the smoking debuff that shreds gear and causes shit to explode. Creating a second armor shredding effect for vanilla Apoc seems to be out of the question, since anything else that damages armor can only do so by dealing major damage.