1. Forum moved (you can use login and pass from old forum)
  2. Many discussions moved to the bugtracker

Suggestion Call for give a boost to our project!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by makus, Sep 1, 2018.

?

Do you agree to pay money to speed up the development of OA?

1. yes

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. no

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. makus

makus Designer, forum admin Administrator Designer/Artist

Best Answers:
    Greetings Apoc fans! :honor:

I think everyone noticed that the project stalled and the activity greatly diminished. The project approached the dense where the most difficult things started (debugging / code optimization, AI, balance, etc.).
    But everyone wants the project to live, and most importantly it was quickly completed or brought to a state where the most complex things will be completed.:play:

On this I see such options:
    1. With the pay of time professionals and XCOM fans in order to overcome the most difficult areas of work.
    1.2 Payment in the form of a reward for the work done () over specific mechanics or a monthly fee for work.
    1.3 The amount will be collected until there is no person ready to take up work on the project
    1.4 All fans who work for free (or already done some work) can write to us if they think that they also deserve some portion of the money for the development.
    2. To direct a part of money for advertising on YouTube channels and other resources
    2.1 Or send money to an advertising project if the programmer is not found for long time​

I ask you to comment on the topic and whether you agree to allocate some amount for development!:Popcorn:

And further details go further:

- I think we are unlikely to be able to collect more than ~ $ 1000 per month that will allow one programmer from third world countries to be hired
    - Approximate time of completion of the remaining vanilla mechanic is 2-3 months and if it goes well then another 1-2 months to eliminate the main bugs and refine the engine​

And all who want to see the 1.0 version of the project can take the following steps
    for a significant acceleration of development

1. Continue to raise our community's online (invite people, link project links)
    2. To give the project the status of a big mod for the game in order to
    3. Have the opportunity to open the Patrion page to raise funds for the development of the mod
    4. The funds will be collected transparently and transparently at the completion of specific mechanics in the game (goals)
    - 4.1 All expenses and balances will be published on the patron page or a special page for patrons
    - 4.2 Goals will be created where each goal is the addition of a specific mechanics to the game
    - 4.3 Also for patrons will be available various T-shirts and arti
    - 4.4 Perhaps before we start collecting money for developers, we will need to raise money for
    advertising company and raising the IC at the project site
    5. We also have to find competent developers who will transparently receive the agreed amount
    according to a predetermined system
    - 5.1 Accordingly, then everything will depend on the amount of money that we can collect
    - 5.2 After the end of the goal we will be able to publish a vacancy for adding mechanics to the game on labor exchanges
    6. JonnyH and SupSuper are ready to monitor the quality of the work (code) to​
    --- Post Merged, Sep 1, 2018, Original Post Date: Sep 1, 2018 ---

=====================RU

Приветствую фанатов Апока!:honor:

Думаю все заметили что проект забуксовал и активность сильно уменьшилась. Проект подошел в плотную к черте
    где начались самые сложные вещи (отладка/оптимизация кода, ИИ, баланс и тд).
    Но всем хочется чтобы проект жил а главное был побыстрее завершен или доведен до состояния где самые сложные вещи будут завершены.:play:

По этому я вижу такие варианты:
    1. C оплатой времени фанатов хсом профессионалов с тем чтобы преодолеть самые сложные участки работы.
    1.2 Оплата в виде награды за проведенную работу () над конкретными механиками или помесячная плата над работой.
    1.3 Сумма будет собиратся пока не не найдется человек готовый взятся за работу над проектом
    1.4 Все фанаты трудившиеся бесплатно смогут написать нам если они думают что они тоже заслужили какую то часть денег за разработку.
    2. Направить часть денег на рекламу на ютуб каналах и др ресурсах
    2.1 Или направить деньги на рекламу проект если программист так и не найдется долгое время​

Прошу высказаться Вас по теме и согласны ли вы будете выделить какую то сумму на разработку!:Popcorn:

И дальше идут детали:

- Я думаю мы врядли сможем собрать больше чем ~1000$ в месяц что позволит нанят одного фаната программиста из стран третьего мира
    - Примерное время доработки оставшихся ванильных механик 2-3 месяца и если дело пойдет хорошо то еще 1-2 месяца на устранение главных багов и доработку движка​

И все кто хочет увидеть 1.0 версию проекта могут предпринять следующие шаги
    для существенного ускорения разработки

1. Продолжать поднимать онлайн нашего сообщества (приглашать людей, линковать ссылки проекта)
    2. Придать проекту статус большого мода к игре с тем чтобы
    3. Иметь возможность открыть Patrion страницу для сбора средств на разработку мода
    4. Средства будут собираться открыто и прозрачно на завершения конкретных механик в игре (голы)
    - 4.1 Все расходы и остатки будут публиковатся на странице патреон или специальной странице для патреонов
    - 4.2 Будет созданы голы где каждый гол это добавление определенной механики в игру
    - 4.3 Так же для патреонов будут доступны различные футболки и арты
    - 4.4 Возможно прежде чем мы начнем собирать деньги для разработчиков нужно будет собрать деньги для
    рекламной компании и поднятия ИЦ у сайта проекта
    5. Нам так же предстоит найти компетентных разработчиков которые будут прозрачно получать оговоренную сумму
    по заранее оговоренной системе
    - 5.1 Соответственно тогда все будет зависеть от количетсва денег которые мы сможем собрать
    - 5.2 После завершения гола мы сможем публиковать вакансию на добавление механики в игру на биржах труда
    6. JonnyH и SupSuper готовы осуществлять контроль качества работы (кода) чтобы​

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  2. FilmBoy84

FilmBoy84 Administrator Administrator Tester Researcher

Best Answers:
    Im definitely behind paying towards this project

My only concerns are the following:

1) We need to check out the legal side of things thoroughly; whilst the code may be that of the projects alone, we are using assets from a copyrighted game... This means that we need to be at least working on something that replaces those assets whilst we are accepting money. A good example would be how OpenTTD accepted donations whilst it was still dependant on Transport Tycoon Deluxe, but it was also developing OpenGFX and OpenSFX to stop this dependency at the same time. Now OpenTTD can operate completely independently of the original files there is no concern regarding IP or copyright. We should aim for the same! This also presents an opportunity to fix various Apoc graphics issues; such as the colour palette yet will extend work required somewhat. (Though Smoke_TH has shown a method for producing 3D models from Apoc resources, these models can then be used for creating NEW sprites quickly)

2) A carefully thought out courtesy call (privately) to Julian/Nick Gollop would not go amiss to let them know what we plan on doing (Obviously keep Take2 out of it - they'll just say no). Julian is already aware of the project afterall and seems to like what he's seen AFAIK.

3) We need to really hit advertising the project hard, yet tactfully to keep money coming in. This means the resources for making weekly "let's play" videos and posting to VK/Facebook/Forums regularly with NEW content or covering gameplay aspects as they develop

Other than that, after 20-years waiting for Apocalypse to be the best classic X-COM game, let's make it happen :)

makus likes this.
  3. JonnyH

JonnyH Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator

Best Answers:
    My position on this:

I cannot (and will not) accept any donations to myself. I cannot (and will not) be involved in any donations, managing who donations go to, or influencing this in any way.

I see it as if developers want to solicit donations to themselves personally, go ahead.

If they want to say they'll work on OpenApoc with the extra time that donations will give, go ahead.

But there's not really an "official" OpenApoc donation central management (as OpenApoc isn't centrally managed :). So it's more donations to individuals that happen to work on specific projects, rather than to the project itself. If a number of developers want to pool possible donations and resources, that's fine. So long as it's clear this is a "donation to a group of developers" not "openapoc" as a single entity.

makus and FilmBoy84 like this.
  4. makus

Best Answers:
    Hi Jakob, I wish you a good rest)
    1. This project become just big free mod So I think this paragraph falls off
    2. I think its not change anything and i think Julian wont ad this our move in some big way
    3. (yes i mention this in my post) and yes its should be done in my op
    also we need pisition our project and basically x-com 2 and 3 games
    that game that flow /cross wich/in world of Lovecraft
    its honest way and also mb help interest some more ppl

--- Post Merged, Sep 2, 2018, Original Post Date: Sep 2, 2018 ---
    I think call our project a open-source free mod is solve all our problems thats it)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  5. mwnn

mwnn Registered

Best Answers:
    It seems to me like there's plenty of projects that deserve attention i.e. #1, #2, #3, #4, etc
    But a lack of programmers - like you clever chaps - who know how to make the magic happen!

Perhaps try a Patreon campaign.
    The guys who created the CEMU emulator have never looked back thanks to Zelda.

There must be plenty of people worldwide that would love to see XCOM apocalypse running on all kinds of strange hardware . Even if they only pledged a single dollar as a one-off - the overall sum could be substantial.

I'm wondering if Warboy and SupSuper may contribute more once OpenXcom reaches 2.0; the latter has already made some contributions.

As for myself I'm reading KN King's book. Linux, C, C++ and OpenGL are all related and I really should learn more about how these things work.

6. FilmBoy84

Best Answers:
    Patreon is a damn fine idea actually
    Makus, is it supported where you are?

makus likes this.
  7. makus

Best Answers:
    i need look at it
    im register there credit card and PP
    and basically i dont need to upload money from patreon to send them to programmer
    will be better if i can just put programmer PP for example there ) and send gathered money to programmer directly...
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2018, Original Post Date: Sep 13, 2018 ---
    right upproach bro) i think i need also look at C++ books

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  8. FilmBoy84

Best Answers:
    Direct to Programmer is a good idea, but running a patreon alongside say YouTube updates may be a good idea to expand viewing base and therefore donations. If you have both in place, hopefully that will keep a steady stream of income for Devs

makus likes this.
  9. makus

Best Answers:
  10. Foffy

Foffy New Member Tester Translator/Writer

Best Answers:
    If I can give a suggestion here, as someone who became familiar of the OpenAPOC project from IstrebitelQzar's videos, perhaps something that could give a boost to the project could be found in videos and progress reports? He put out videos quite frequently - I am assuming he's not involved anymore - and it was those videos that primarily captured my interest and the interests of others. I remember seeing some of hid videos posted on the XCOM Reddit, too.

I would imagine the reason the project may have slowed down is because there's fewer people working on it at present, and additionally, a lack of awareness that the project still needs help.

Just my thoughts.

11. FilmBoy84

Best Answers:
    Agreed, Foffy, it was the videos that drew me here too last year
    I had considered doing some myself as i have been recording game-play for testing (see my youtube channel posted around these forums)
    But until some of the game-breaking bugs are fixed, im struggling to find stuff that is not already covered by Istrabel

New video and media content is most certainly required!

makus likes this.
  12. makus

Best Answers:
    yes proper observation @Foffy ty =]
    but he was a programmer who made the content for vids himself
    it turns out that who will make video releases should at least a little understand the programming to do some small additions or even do programming lessons with C ++ and how to start on own your example ...
    --- Post Merged, Sep 21, 2018, Original Post Date: Sep 21, 2018 ---

Here some content for start)
    also who will start make content can be added as channel admin

1) For example few task video that should be on official channel but its not,
    wich detailed comments somthing like guide about:

1. - skirmish module
    2. - about debug system hotkeys and how its work wich detailed comments
    3. - guide how to spot bag and where to submit it
    4. - video where described what already done and whats left detailed
    5. - how to instal openapoc and some setup of resolutions fullscreen and translation
    6. - video about how to start programming C++ in regards to help OpenApoc in general terms
    7. - video anonce, when we decide already about donations, what, why, where and how.

Eech video should be posted in whole amount of resources
    • fb
    • vk
    • tw
    • yt
    • discord and all cross theme resources
    • reddit and all cross theme resources
    • etc

2) Make reviews about X-Com Apocalypse at GOG and Steam and some others where mention about OpenApoc
    create https://steamcommunity.com/groups/openapoc

3) While no programmers anyone can write ideal concept of future OpenApoc
    -where will be where problems of a protracted and predictable ending will be solved
    -where new added (cutted) items will be ballanced and not only this items

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018