1. Forum moved (you can use login and pass from old forum)
  2. Many discussions moved to the bugtracker

Building on Windows 10 Ubuntu Bash Shell

Discussion in 'Ports' started by jgatkinsn, Mar 9, 2018.

1. jgatkinsn

jgatkinsn Member Programmer

Best Answers:
    For those used to working on Linux and have windows 10, you have another option:

Ubuntu Bash shell.

Here's the instructions to install the bash shell: https://www.howtogeek.com/249966/how-to-install-and-use-the-linux-bash-shell-on-windows-10/

Once you get the app setup, you'll need to install the following libraries:
    sudo apt-get install libsdl2-dev cmake build-essential git libunwind8-dev libboost-locale-dev libboost-filesystem-dev libboost-system-dev libboost-program-options-dev gettext

It's the same as the instructions on github except for the addition of "gettext" on the end. For some reason, the Ubuntu bash shell doesn't come with it automatically like normal Ubuntu distros.

The rest should compile the same as per the instructions on github repo.

Getting it to run is a little trickier.

First, you'll have to install a Xwindows server on Windows 10. I used Xming: https://sourceforge.net/projects/xming/

Once Xming is installed and running, you'll need to export two variables in the shell if you plan to launch OpenApoc.

export DISPLAY=:0 (this is to connect to Xming)
    export SDL_VIDEO_X11_VISUALID= (this is to trick SDL to help it find the display)

Then run OpenApoc.

That's how I got it to run on my setup. All my tools for development are at my disposal and works well so far.
    NOTE: Audio did not work. I'm not sure yet how to make it work. Also, saw some strange mouse mapping between Xming and Windows (two pointers)

Advantages:

1. If you're a Windows developer, you now have a way to test your builds without dual booting or firing up a VM to launch Linux.
    2. Vice Versa, if you're a Linux developer working in Windows, you still have some of your creature comforts available to you. It's way better than Cygwin.
    3. Again, if you're on a more resource-constrained laptop, this might be a better option then again running a VM to get to Linux
    4. Works with native Ubuntu packages (support for OpenSuse and Kali linux available too) without special recompiled packages like Cygwin

makus and FilmBoy84 like this.
  2. makus

makus Designer, forum admin Administrator Designer/Artist

Best Answers:
    Its work for win 7 )?

3. jgatkinsn

jgatkinsn Member Programmer

Best Answers:
    Windows 10 only.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 12, 2018, Original Post Date: Apr 12, 2018 ---
    BTW, I did get audio working, but it was a pain, and I can't recommend until some changes it integrated into the pulse audio library.