1. Forum moved (you can use login and pass from old forum)
  2. Many discussions moved to the bugtracker

Low Priority Bringing Day/Night to the BattleScape using "Palette Bump"

Discussion in 'Data' started by FilmBoy84, Nov 23, 2017.

1. FilmBoy84

FilmBoy84 Administrator Administrator Tester Researcher

Best Answers:
    One of the biggest "bugs" with the Apocalypse Vanilla was that the Day/Night cycle never moved across to tactical combat as was originally intended. This was in part due to the use of two different programs/exe's as well as the time limits on development.

Night-time combat in Apocalypse appears as bright as day under the battle-scape view

Under OpenApoc we are offered a potential opportunity to "fix" this problem

Has anyone looked at "Palette Bump" to make things darker/lighter under Apoc without having to change the palette?

The basic idea of a palette bump is that the program is told to draw certain palette colours darker/lighter when tied to a certain type of day. This means that colours used for lights can be told to stay bright, all other colours are darkened by a percentage.

UFO and TFTD used this technique to make their own Night Missions dark, so there is already a precedent within the X-COM series.

It was discussed here on StrategyCore but nothing sadly came of it:
    http://www.strategycore.co.uk/forums/topic/9300-daynight-in-apocalypse/page__hl__+apocalypse++night

Getting the view range of agents to change with light/dark is a whole different kettle of fish, but at least giving the game a visual change would do a lot for atmosphere and fixing one of my biggest bug-bears with Apocalypse.

makus likes this.
  2. makus

makus Designer, forum admin Administrator Designer/Artist

Best Answers:
    Since solutiion of this is hard
    NKF propose right way i think

and i even for a lot simpler solution like
    only black overlay at night wich 50% opacity or different opacity depends of hours
    and undervalued detection radius tied to the level of transparency (time of night)
    ... also
    -layer wich agents
    -layer wich shots
    -layer with fire from something burning
    -layer wich explosions
    can be above black overlay
    also can be added mask to it wich light halo that can use filters (like in photoshop if its possible or just netrilize black layer on mask area) that will light area

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    FilmBoy84 likes this.
  3. FilmBoy84

Best Answers:
    If i recall the issues with an overlay are as follows:

1) Overlays do not account for walls and obstructions, bright/dark is uniform across the map
    2) If you darkened the colours with an overlay, lights and bright colours are darkened too

I believe the cityscape already uses a palette bump for it's day night cycle; i'm proposing that the Battlescape is adopted to do the same if the correct algorithm can be worked out.

I agree though, this is an incredibly difficult thing to work out a solution to, but at least we have the processor capacity in most systems nowadays to take the tile-lighting bitmap route (some of which can be offloaded to GPU pipeline processing under some renderers IIRC).

makus likes this.
  4. makus

makus Designer, forum admin Administrator Designer/Artist

Best Answers:
    ... also
    -layer wich agents
    -layer wich shots
    -layer with fire from something burning
    -layer wich explosions
    can be above black overlay
    also can be added mask to it wich light halo that can use filters (like in photoshop if its possible or just netrilize black layer on mask area) that will light area

5. FilmBoy84

Best Answers:
    From Terry Greer's page regarding how they made light-dark transitions in early X-COM games using a limited palette:

http://www.terrygreer.com/xcomterrorfromthe-deep.html