1. Forum moved (you can use login and pass from old forum)
  2. Many discussions moved to the bugtracker

BETA: Observed "Cut" functions, behaviours, items and units

Discussion in 'Data' started by FilmBoy84, Oct 24, 2017.

FilmBoy84
Best Answer FilmBoy84, Nov 8, 2017
From the Al Giovetti review of the game all the way back in late 1996: "Apocalypse adds many new skills, including interrogation skill, perceptive... Go to Full Post
  1. FilmBoy84

FilmBoy84 Well-Known Member Tester Researcher
    18/28

Best Answers:
    **If the admin/mods can add a "Beta" prefix to this to keep it separate i'd be really grateful.**

So, delving around in the beta game a little i've naturally come across things that were cut from vanilla, a lot of these things are known and documented, particularly well, here:
    https://tcrf.net/X-COM:_Apocalypse (A much better resource than UFOPedia for lost content)

Most other "cut" content is as described on "The cutting floor" wiki as i linked to above, but i thought it significant to post my knowledge of further details here if modders want to pick it up for additions to OpenApoc especially as i've found some things that flesh out the content even further.

Currently, there are three known versions of pre-vanilla apocalypse.

1. The "Debug" version; this was sent out to Q&A/Debuggers, it contains ALL of the cut functionality in the state it was prior to being cut. Includes cheats that the beta does not have to aid testing. The holy grail of Apocalypse development really; would love to find a copy of this after losing mine with the second Beta back in 2001. No known copies exist in the public domain; PM me if you know otherwise.

2. The "First Beta"; frequently crashes and puts up "blank prompts", most of the cut features are partially removed in this version, the game is not completable end-to-end due to a broken research tree but can be completed with the "beta cheats". It was only ever available internally to Microprose and Mythos employees but copies were leaked to friends and families.

3. The "Second Beta", most widely available pre-vanilla apocalypse. Intermittent "blank prompts" few crashes, effectively a "complete game" only with placeholder graphics in some places. All of the "cut" functions are still in the game and as complete as they ever were (excepting the tracker stuff that appears to have been partially cut), but have been made inaccessible without some tinkering. The behaviour of both aliens and X-COM agents is much more detailed as i have documented elsewhere and gives a happy middle ground to ascertaining how Apocalypse was "meant" to work prior to it's release. It has an .exe date of 12/06/1997 (dated after the vanilla release because there was an intent to further develop apocalypse with patches so for a time, a beta development branch was retained and then leaked)

With regards to Items, here's what testing has discovered that adds to the wiki information above:

1. Energy Pod: This does provide ammunition to the forceweb. It has no link to the Dimension Destabiliser as suggested elsewhere

2. Forceweb: A weaker version of the Stun-Grapple, but has an area effect forming a 3x3 square. This allows for capture of multiple small aliens or used against the larger aliens that the Stun Grapple COULD NOT capture prior to vanilla. No animation effect is present in the beta, but it does seem to "stun" creatures within the 3x3 tile radius. It uses the Energy pod ammunition.

3. Alien Detector: Allows for identification of "micronoid infected VIPs or brainsucked civilians/gangs/police" that are not hostile to X-COM in the Tactical game. It appears that the game was meant to allow, as part of the tagging model, some infected units to be in the tactical game but not attack X-COM or run away from them as they went about their missions in the Cityscape. This device allows X-COM to see infected units through a minimap similar to the Motion Detector that remains in game, but much more accurate. Different colours identify "safe" units and "hidden" aliens. X-COM can then be told to shoot the infected unit accordingly

4. Dimension Destabiliser: Does not use ammunition as suggested, appears to draw energy from the alien dimension as the Disrupter and Devastator do

5. Dimension Force Field: Appears to have no clear purpose, as per the wiki, though tinkering suggests it was more intended to form "barriers" on the Tactical game that agents could hide behind and shoot over. It's too large to be intended as a personal force field.

6. Tracker Gun, Tracker Clip & Multi-Tracker: Probably the coolest feature cut from the game. In the second beta it's still there but has been drastically hacked to pieces since the first beta (presumably as they started to cut features). The tracker gun was used in the tactical game to "tag" civilians, VIPs, Aliens and gang members. These units, if allowed to flee the tactical game, or left there as X-COM withdrew would then appear on the cityscape in a similar manner to X-COM agents. Confusingly, when i've been able to tag and track units historically (prior to losing my debug copy) the units appear using the Red man and Yellow circle, in debug, X-COM were green men with a yellow circle. Civilians appeared as a grey man with a yellow circle. For some reason, by beta, the colours were reversed. You could follow them around the cityscape and capture them with stun weaponry in the tactical game. There was a bug where units had to be tagged before they could be captured; you couldn't capture a VIP just by stunning them. The tag indicated that they were to be sent to the X-COM cells after a battle and not returned to the parent organisation. In effect "tagging" a unit gave X-COM permission to arrest and hold for interrogation (giving details of alien infection, organisation relations, other organisation units locations, etc.), ransom (yes, this was a thing that X-COM did to raise funds) or execution (that antagonised the parent organisation).

7. Psi-Grenade: When exploding, this caused units to "panic" or "beserk" and even "flee" by knocking their psi-defence and psi-strength as well as bravery right down. It was most devastating against high-psi or bravery units as the mechanism worked on a "percentage damage" model. A great weapon against Psi-morphs and Micronoids.

8. Dimension Shifter (CRAFT EQUIPMENT): Back in debug there was provision for NINE (Yes nine!) Alien Dimensions, these were procedurally generated with the buildings linking in different manners for each dimension. From what i can recall from the debug, only dimension IDs 0 through 4 were used (0 being Mega-Primus, plus four other "alien" maps; there were preliminary plans for expansions that added more up to the 9 threshold). The dimension shifter allowed for X-COM to select which dimension they travelled to. If X-COM did not research this item, they could "win" the game by destroying the first dimension, but there was a twist ending by which the aliens would keep invading Earth and X-COM actually lost (In short, there were "alternate endings" planned for apocalypse, much in the same way that Dreamland Chronicals [UFO Aftermath] had). The only way to truly win apocalypse was to complete ALL of the alien dimensions and this is why the "ONE WAY TO WIN" piece of research can still be found in the vanilla game! The "One way to win" image is of a special building that grew the technology to allow the aliens to settle in different dimensions; this was later made into the building that grew new buildings for the aliens (as it is in vanilla). There was a significant story change from the aliens being from a vast multi-dimensional empire to that of the micronoids effectively invading other dimensions to escape the death of their own (as is the case in vanilla).

9. Structure Probe (CRAFT EQUIPMENT): This was intended to allow X-COM to probe the next building in the alien dimension, this could only be found on the dimension probe and gave it it's purpose. After successfully completing a building mission in the alien dimension X-COM had to fly a probe over the next building and scan it before returning to earth. This unlocked the research for the next building. Of course, in vanilla, this was automatically granted and the dimension probe remains as a useless vehicle in the research tree.

10. Vortex Analyser (CRAFT EQUIPMENT): If X-COM had successfully worked out that there were multiple alien dimensions, this piece of equipment would be made available to "look"/"scan" for "vortexes" between the different alien dimensions within each alien dimension map. These were hidden in normal play and moved (like the dimension gates) over time. Once found, a vortex could be traversed using the "Dimension Shifter" to one of the other alien dimensions. Only when the "One way to win" research was completed did vortexes to the "final" alien dimension start to open. This allowed X-COM to "skip" some of the dimensions and truly destroy the alien threat if they were quick to research the "Real Alien Threat" and "One way to win" in quick succession.

11. X-COM could "capture" alien buildings in the debug version, it was unclear if this was a bug as it allowed X-COM to manufacture the aliens UFOs for example (which also provided the Dimension Shifter) or if it was a test feature.

12. All Aliens and UFOs have their own "inventory" screens because multiplayer was intended for Apocalypse and X-COM could capture and use both aliens and UFOs as above.

I'll make further posts here regarding Alien unit behaviour in combat as time allows.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2017
    Kammerer and makus like this.
  2. Best Answer:
    Post #2078 by FilmBoy84, Nov 8, 2017
  3. makus

makus Designer, forum admin Administrator Designer/Artist
    64/112

Best Answers:
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  4. makus

64/112

Best Answers:
    Also Skin36 (Yuri) find in beta files images of planets 0 to 8 in PLANET.PCK old archive type
    but to convert need correct palette
    there 9 files so its can be 8 planets of our system and earth moon
    and also you say
    "Back in debug there was provision for NINE (Yes nine!) Alien Dimensions"
    so i gues this is it

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. FilmBoy84

18/28

Best Answers:
    Thanks @makus for formatting my thread correctly, i shall try to keep the formatting structure for future posts

The planets thing is interesting; i had forgotten about this, and early design concept was to have multiple cities i believe which covered mankinds expansion to mars and beyond. The transteller spaceships moved goods between the different cities on different planets and after a certain week, dimension gates would appear on other planets so X-COM would be forced to fight across multiple cities and dimensions.

I don't know if basic functionality was even added? The fact that @Skin36 has found stuff indicates that something must have been done towards this end? Sadly i can't claim to know much about the planets aspect of early apocalypse.

makus likes this.
  6. makus

64/112

Best Answers:
    No @Skin36 just mention this =] so i write about this
    also @Skin36 say that its not linked to anywhere in the game
    And yes like you said its will be intresting but heavily load gameplay i think...
    but if its will be builded in some larger concept wich some smart mehanics...

7. Yataka Shimaoka

Yataka Shimaoka Active Member Tester Translator/Writer
    18/28

Best Answers:
    This, is too much to take in! Thinking that our vanilla Apocalypse (the released one)
    Is largely incomplete! And thinking about all of the content mentioned, well, what I wouldn't give to experience it!

You rock Filmboy84!!!

FilmBoy84 and makus like this.
  8. FilmBoy84

18/28

Best Answers:
    Thank-you, XCOM3 has been in my top three games for some 20-years now (The others being Transport Tycoon and STALKER), from being given debug and beta versions back in the day to hearing that all the mods and devs here were making a remake i've always been fascinated by "what could have been".

OpenApoc is the best chance in a generation to actually make a game like this and I hope that, as it's open source, my knowledge of the early game will help those who can code make the appropriate mods

I really should learn to code =]

In other news, here's another playtest in the beta raiding the CoS. Chaos ensues as the cult members not only spawn within 7 squares of my agents but spam incendiary weapons as they always did before vanilla made them explosive obsessed. Also note the sheer numbers of cultists in beta missions (This game is running in "easy" mode)

makus likes this.
  9. makus

64/112

Best Answers:
    Maybe Jacob you yourself do not know how much this can be a great idea =3
    i mean in general that can change your life)

Yataka Shimaoka and FilmBoy84 like this.
  10. makus

64/112

Best Answers:
    At initial stages of the development was created real models of alien "dog" and other alien creatures like a meat machine with sonic weapons, possible demonic creature, and maybe more but i can save only this

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    FilmBoy84 likes this.
  11. FilmBoy84

18/28

Best Answers:
    Well found @makus love the dog and sonic alien particularly :)

These must be some of the 3D models made for apocalypse with an eye to scaling them down for use in game. I can remember the Gollop's complaining that whilst the designs looked amazing when large, they turned into a mess when reduced to sprite size which is why even the vanilla aliens are "noisy" in their appearance and changes were made to most sprites between the 2nd Beta and the Vanilla release (beta aliens are very mottled, dull and grey).

You also appear to have an early multiworm egg and an early brainsucker there too.
    Great stuff!

makus likes this.
  12. makus

64/112

Best Answers:
    well yes should be but we dont find it )

This topic will help us to form a slik concept
    yet we can probably use something from the X-Com alliance documents to expand the vision of the future image of the game (concept)
    so i leave this here
    http://www.terrygreer.com/xcomalliance.html

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  13. FilmBoy84

18/28

Best Answers:
    OK, i've found the artist who made these. Amazingly they are SCULPTURES and not 3D computer models! The artist is Tim White and he was commissioned to make the monsters for apocalypse. I'll see if i can make contact with him...

We also have a name for the daemonic creature; "The Demonoid"

There was also a return for a "Carnosaur" as well as a poison bat!

His page can be found on the wayback machine at:
    https://web.archive.org/web/2010081...-white.co.uk/pages/sculpturegallerypage1.html

Acoustic Creature

A predatory creature which uses sound waves at a disrupting frequency to disable its victims. One of a series of 3D models created by the artist for a small computer software company.

Alien Wolf
    Another alien creature for the same project mentioned above.

Brain Parasite

One of a series of 3D models created by the artist for the computer game 'X-com Apocalypse' by 'Microprose'. A sinister creature, which springs onto human heads, attaching by suckers on its legs. Using a trunk like appendage it penetrates the skull and sucks out the brain of its victim. Then the creature inserts its own brain into the body, which then becomes an alien!

Demonoid Model
    An alien predator from the same project as the 'alien wolf' mentioned above.

Egg
    Another life form from the 'X-com Apocalypse' computer game. The egg from which the killer 'multiworm' emerges.

Multiworm

A giant killer worm from the computer game 'X-com Apocalypse'.

Venomous Bat
    A poison bat life form for a computer game project.

Funnel head Alien

One of a series of 'aliens' made for the computer game 'X-Com Apocalypse' by 'Microprose'. The model was painted mat white for scanning by a 'rotary laser', to enable 3D computer meshes to be made from it. All the models for the Microprose project were made this way.

Popper
    An alien creature design called a 'Popper' for the computer game 'X-Com Apocalypse'. The highly dangerous creature runs up to earthlings and then detonates in a violent explosion. An alien bio weapon. A plastic toy 'Popper' version was also made as a promotional item connected to the computer game

Mega Carnosaur
    A massive carnosaur life form for a computer game. The huge and weighty head counterbalanced by a large mace ended tail complete with spikes.

makus likes this.
  14. makus

64/112

Best Answers:
    I try contact wich him via FB but its just page that was created by his fun she say that

and yes im also fan of STALKER =ъ
    Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbbqlvuovQ0
    but its in 2018(

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  15. FilmBoy84

18/28

Best Answers:
    @makus, Metro:Exodus does look incredible, can't wait to get my hands on it. Looks more "open world" than the previous games too.

A great shame we don't seem to be able to get hold of Tim, with him being in the UK i would love to arrange a meeting with him to try and take some photos of the Apoc sculptures.

In other news, here's the Beta2 Alien dimension from dimension code 2
    No umbical is present
    No "entrance caves" are present
    Throughout the map, there are MULTIPLE copies of each building
    Buildings regrow if you take too long to destroy the next building and haven't destroyed the building that controls growth of new ones. ufo2p_000.png

makus and Yataka Shimaoka like this.
  16. Yataka Shimaoka

18/28

Best Answers:
    That confirms the myths about the alien dimension, nice find!

makus likes this.
  17. FilmBoy84

18/28

Best Answers:
    Here's a video look around of the Beta2 alien dimension, note the multiple dimension gate generators that would have linked to other alien dimensions :Popcorn:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    makus and Yataka Shimaoka like this.
  18. Yataka Shimaoka

18/28

Best Answers:
    MMMMM! I'm craving to have that cut functionality back! Loving it!

19. FilmBoy84

18/28

Best Answers:
    Votes: 3
    From the Al Giovetti review of the game all the way back in late 1996:

"Apocalypse adds many new skills, including interrogation skill, perceptive ability, biochemistry, quantum physics, forensics, engineering, sanity, driving skill, and flying skill. Another problem with the original game was the inability to move other than walk, turn, stand and run. In the new game the Silicon Graphics Incorporated rendered agents will be able to swim, crawl, jump, climb, and run in addition to the other movements."

Also listed on Microprose's own website here...
    https://web.archive.org/web/1996122...se.com:80/corporatedesign/press/xcomapoc.html

Would love to see those skills back in the game. :glasses:

Originally, craft would have to be assigned agents to fly, not the autonomous craft we currently have in Apocalypse. Choosing an agent for flying ability was as important as combat ability and X-COM would effectively be forced to recruit "pilots" as well as agents.

Also, water, what happened to this function? Why else would agents need a swimming skill :facepalm:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    FilmBoy84, Nov 8, 2017 Best Answer
    makus likes this.