1. Forum moved (you can use login and pass from old forum)
  2. Many discussions moved to the bugtracker

Article Apocalypse Money Editor for DOSBox 0.74 (CoSMOS)

Discussion in 'Tools' started by FilmBoy84, Nov 24, 2017.

1. FilmBoy84

FilmBoy84 Well-Known Member Tester Researcher
    31/56

Best Answers:
    Tinkering around with the fantastic CoSMOS trainer maker from CheatHappens i've found a means to edit X-COMs finances under the Base Screen whilst the game is running.

Using this as my introduction to coding a trainer for OpenApoc, but for now working on Vanilla (As OpenApoc likely to change)

Address 9E52928 is the key and allows you to edit your money on the fly. Please note, under different DOSBox instances this can change! So if it doesn't work use CoSMOS to search in the same adress range. For example it can also appear as 9EE2928!

For those using CoSMOS please find attached ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    makus likes this.
  2. Tagasaki

Tagasaki Registered
    3/28

Best Answers:
    I'd use a Hex Editor on a save file to edit most of the unit's stats, finances, and ship's stats too. It's a bit intensive as in finding it all manually and a misstep could either broke the save file or gave something a god status lol.

Editing finances, especially x-com's total cash is a bit random. As in the places keep changing upon each save file and/or update/overwrite the save file.

It's fun tho. XD

makus likes this.
  3. Treonin

Treonin Registered
    31/56

Best Answers:
    I found that the easiest way is to just use a simple memory editor like ArtMoney. Simple to learn and you can do it in seconds once you know how to use it.

makus likes this.
  4. FilmBoy84

FilmBoy84 Well-Known Member Tester Researcher
    18/28

Best Answers:
    The intent of using CoSMOS is to do some experimentation to allow editing of things "on-the-fly" without having to edit save-games.

Whilst vanilla apocalypse has save-game editors, it can be a pain to edit beta2 games (for which there are non and the save structure is different) or simply having to save, exit and return to the game every-time i want to cheat for a particular purpose.

If i can narrow down memory addresses for a trainer, this is much more suitable for my play-testing and research procedure ;)

Nonetheless, if it helps others too I shall keep posting CoSMOS stuff in this thread

makus likes this.