1. Forum moved (you can use login and pass from old forum)
  2. Many discussions moved to the bugtracker

Apoc on Steam

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ende, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Ende

Ende Registered

Best Answers:
    Hi guys new user here :)

Well i think i registered to this site a long time ago but dont think i posted lol

Ive just started another run through of Apocalypse, this is my first time playing it on Steam as ive always got the old games to work on my modern PC. I love modding the game and i was wondering if theres anything from this project which works on Apoc on Steam?

Im happy to playtest anything u think might work and u need checked!

Secondly, if nothing from this project will work what mods do u recommend? Specifically graphical upgrades?

Cheers guys!

Ende

2. Treonin

Treonin Registered

Best Answers:
    Hello!

I have got Apoc from steam too, and I think its the same, but comes preconfigured with DosBox.

I am not sure if I understand your question, but this project is not a mod. It will be a recreation of the game/engine using mostly the old resources (sound, graphics, ...) that aims to make it playable on modern systems while "fixing" (not including) most of the bugs in the old game.

I never found any mods that would enhance the graphics of the game.

3. JonnyH

JonnyH Well-Known Member Official Developer Administrator

Best Answers:
    As Treonin mentioned, we're aiming at a 'full re-implementation of Apoc - one of the stated goals is to improve mod support.

At this point, we're still early in this progress - it's not playable yet! (And quite a way off) - Stick around if you want to keep track of our status, any help of course will speed this along :)

As for the original, the only 'mods' I've seen have been small data file changes / sprite replacement - no 'big' things (such as improving the resolution of the sprites) as that's all baked into the core of how the program works. 'Mod support' wasn't really a thing back in the DOS days, and when you had to count cycles to get the 'base' game running well there isn't much space to add flexibility for people to come in and change things later.

While some of our reverse engineering/tools may help with creating mods for the DOS version, that's not really something we (Or at least I) am going to be able to put any effort in; I'm full-steam-ahead for a re-implementation that /does/ support mods etc.

4. Ende

Ende Registered

Best Answers:
    Hey guys thanks for the replies :)

And thanks for explaining how your project works!

I was just hoping some of your stuff might work on original Apoc... I guess i will have to dig out some of my old mods again hehe

Im happy to stick around to help u guys make decisions on possible rebalancing of the game, as all of us fans know theres plenty of aspects that Microprose didnt get into the game properly due to deadlines.

Have u guys thought about using kickstarter to help this project?

I seem to remember Baldurs Gate got dtrong backing from Kickstarter when a studio wanted to remake that game right...

5. Solarius Scorch

Solarius Scorch Call to Power modder Global Moderator

Best Answers:
    Good! Have a look at the Game Mods section, where we've already started some time ago. (The core game will be as close to the original as possible, so there'll be no rebalancing.)

Why would anyone need to remake Baldur's Gate? It's fine! :)